Chapter twenty seven: Carrie

18 days until war.

After breakfast I roamed around my cabin, not knowing what to do until I taught archery class at eight. Great, I just had to sit here for about two hours doing nothing.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door. Neptuna came in without asking.

"What were those scars?" She asked.

"Scars?" I hoped I sounded clueless. "What scars?"

"The scars I saw on your arms last night! What were those?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I leaned back in my chair.

"Yes you do." She leaned onto my desk, her knuckles slowly turning white.

"You should be in class, not here." I sighed.

"No one needs yoga, it's useless." She laughed, but almost immediately her eyes hardened, "Don't change the subject. Tell me about the scars."

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I repeated.

"On your arms." She threw a glance at my arms.

"There's nothing there." I showed her both of my mist covered arms. "See? Nothing."

"You're lying." She grabbed my arm and examined it. Then she hissed something that sounded suspiciously like, "Mist!" And glared at me. "Get rid of the mist. Now." She ordered.

"There is no mist." I lied.

"Yes there is, you blonde idiot!" She glared at me. There were tears in her eyes, that I hadn't seen before. For some reason, this scared me. She was about to cry!

"Don't you dare start crying in here. If someone sees you—" I whispered, jumping to my feet.

"I'm not going to cry!" She snarled and wiped the tears out of her eyes.

"You need to go back to your classes." I decided, sitting back down.

Why had I wanted to help? That wasn't like me at all. Why had I jumped up?

"Where did you get the scars that I saw last night?" She demanded.

"The ones that you saw last night aren't even a percent of my scars. I got them from battles and training, I have lived with them most of my life. They do not bother me and they shouldn't bother you. Now, will you leave?"

"Fine, but one more question. Why do you hide your scars?"

"That is a very interesting question," I laughed. "I could lie to you and say it is because I am ashamed, or that I do not like them. The truth is I am not a show off. I do not brag about my accomplishments and I am not ashamed of my mistakes."

"That's stupid."

"It is my stupid." I shrugged and she left.