Chapter seventeen: Carrie

Together Elymas and I sat on the edge of the skyscraper we had landed on, our feet dangling below us.

"You know, you need to defend yourself somehow." I nodded to Elymas.

"I can defend myself fine." He crossed his arms, "To be honest I could probably beat you in a fight."

"You wish." I laughed.

"Hey, if you grew up on the streets—"

"Stop your blabbering and take this." I rolled my eyes, pressed my watch and handed him my sword.

"Why are there two languages on this?" He ran his fingers over the engravings on both sides.

"What two languages do you see?" I eyed him.

Now that he had a weapon he had one choice, trust me or try to kill me. Sadly if the gods got anywhere near him I knew what they would force him to choose.

"English and something else..." He trailed off mumbling.

"Read it outloud."

"'Another win'" He read aloud while tracing his hands over the greek letters.

"Read the other side."

"A-al-ter-er-iu-s—"

"Alterius vincere." I finished for him.

"What does it mean?"

"Another win." I smiled and brought out my bow.

"Do all of your weapons say the same thing?"

"Yep, now don't freak out," I nocked an arrow and aimed it at his forehead.

"Huh, same thing." He touched the engraved letters on both sides of the arrow, along with the top and bottom of my bow.

"I like the last thing for my enemies to see is just a flash of gold, my bow. If they have time to read the words then I've waited too long." I pressed my watch again and my bow disappeared.

"That's so... violent." He laughed.

"Not where I come from."

"Then that place sounds awesome."

"Whoa." I gazed down at the town below us.

"What?"

"Do you see those dots?"

"Yeah, so?"

"Those are monsters. You never want to get too close to one so let's see how well I can shoot, shall we?"

"Are you serious?"

"Of course I am." I laughed, pulled myself up and readied my bow.

"I dare you to hit the furthest monster. I doubt you can do it."

"Okay, what's the bet?" I laughed, turning my bow towards the farthest monster I could see, about 500 yards.

"How about if you miss you teach me how to ride a pegasus but if you kill it then I'll—"

"You don't have to do anything." I laughed and shot the arrow.

It sailed through the air, silent but deadly. It arced toward the monster and hit it square in the head, causing it to crumble to dust.

"Dude that was awesome!" Elymas cheered.

"I guess." I walked over to the room in the middle of the roof and checked the calendar.

Shoot.

June 1st.

20 days till my birthday.

20 days until the summer solstice, the most powerful day of the gods. The day I have the biggest chance of being murdered.

My dog tag grew hot. I quickly took it off and placed it on the ground. The usual shimmering mist appeared and Natalie stood on the other side.

"Carrie?" Natalie look deeply disturbed.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"You need to get back to Camp, Camp Half Blood just declared war, Juventas just told us."

"What?" I questioned, a little louder than I wanted.

"Yeah, they said that we have someone named Courtney and they want her back by June 20th."

"No." I murmured, thinking of Neptuna, she couldn't have caused this.

"It get's worse."

"How can it possibly get worse?"

"Camp Jupiter is helping them."