Chapter forty three: Carrie

Two days until war.

I waited for Poena to inform me that the plan was in progress then I entered the prison.

"Request to speak to prisoner 1138." I spoke to the skeleton for the second day in a row, yet again my voice echoed around the prison.

"Request accepted, he will be brought into the meeting room immediately."

I went into the room and remembered Luke's request the previous day, I snapped my fingers and the light flickered on.

A few moments later a skeleton pushed Luke Castellan in the door then shut it behind him.

Luke definitely looked better than yesterday, he wasn't as pale, though I could still see that his jumpsuit was way too big on him.

"Good morning." I leaned back, leaving myself unprotected from any attack he might try on me.

I could just barely see Backbiter hiding in his jumpsuit strapped to his side and leg, a great place to hide a weapon.

"Could be better, thanks for the more food." He sat across from me on his own. "What do you want now?"

"I have a proposition for you."

"What is it?" His eyes shot around, not staying on one item for longer than two seconds.

"You can fight with us during the battle." I sat up and leaned into the table.

"What? Why?"

"What is your answer?"

"No! I would never do that to my friends, my family!"

"Good." I nodded and leaned back.

"Good gods, you are the most confusing person I've ever met." His eyes continued ricochet around the room.

"How? You just proved to me that even though they believe that they killed you, you still would rather help them then try to escape. That makes you a good soldier."

"There's something wrong with you."

"As I have been told. Now, it is time for the truth to come out, are you hiding anything from me?"

"Wh-what would make you say that?"

"Luke." I grabbed his face and forced him to look me in the eyes. "Are you hiding anything from me?"

"N-no." Beads of sweat started to form on his brow, I released his face but continued to stare him down in order to provoke him into attacking me.

If my hypothesis was correct then he wouldn't attack me, no matter how much I provoked him. That's how much he cared for Annabeth and Thalia.

"Okay, I will trust you, this time." I lied.

"Uh... Can I go back to my cell? It's better than talking to you."

"Of course." I stood and he started to leave. "Watch out, Annabeth's going to punch you when she sees you, same with Thalia."

"Noted." He eyed me and left.

So I was correct, good, I needed some practice predicting someone's future actions before the war.

"Juventas please notice all of the children of Vulcan and Hephaestus to come to the camp that they are building."

"Okay." She nodded and left.

I headed to the makeshift camp and waited.

"Okay everyone, let's try to get close the finished today so on that we can completely finish tomorrow and set up the surprise." I instructed to the group once everyone arrived.

They agreed and started to work, I went up the hill and got my bow ready.

"Hey Carrie, uh there seems to something in the grass over in the North East quadrant. The others wanted to check it out with some mallets but I talked them into letting you do it." Michael informed me.

"Okay, sure, I'll check it out." I nodded and jogged toward the North East brush.

I gazed into the brush, it was shaking, I hadn't seen anything from the hill so maybe it was just the wind.

Well, that theory was thrown out the window when I heard the growling.

"Go back to work, I can handle this." I instructed the crowd that had gathered.

A giant black Hellhound jumped on top of me and wrestled me to the ground. My first thought; Who puts a collar on a Hellhound? Perseus Jackson of course, I growled and put away my bow.

Great, well at least I have something to do this morning.

I grabbed the Hellhound by the collar and wrestled it to the ground.

"C'mon girl, let's get you back to your master." I sighed and pulled the Hellhound into the brush.

The dog let out a monstrous bark that made me flinch, and my ears to go haywire but I ignored it.

"Perseus!" I called quietly, not wanting the children of Hephaestus or Vulcan to hear.

I walked into their mist-covered camp, Mrs. O'Leary dragging behind me.

"Chiron!" I banged my fist on the bunker door.

He opened it, obviously thinking I was one of his campers.

"Carrie? How did you—"

"Chiron, who is it?" Perseus called.

"Perseus! Keep a better eye on your mutt!" I growled, released Mrs. O'Leary, then went back to the makeshift camp.

Needless to say, neither Chiron or Perseus followed me, they were too shocked to move. But I still heard footsteps that weren't my own. I looked around, no one was around me.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Annabeth Chase in her magic Yankee's hat." I laughed. "I'm glad you had the courage to follow me. It's good someone did."

She didn't answer, of course she didn't, that would've blown her cover.

"Next time try taking off your shoes, you'll be much quieter."

"How did you know I was here?" She whispered.

"I can hear your footsteps, don't worry, I won't attack you. I'm rather glad you didn't lose your hat in Tartarus, that would've been such a bummer."

"How did you know about that?"

"Many ways, many of them I will not tell you about."

"Why not?"

"For many reasons."

"Like what?" I could feel her eyes boring into me.

"That's classified. Stay invisible and behind me, don't say another word until I say you can."

"Got it." She whispered.

"Carrie, what was it?" Michael jogged up to me.

"Just a Hellhound, I took care of it."

"Good." He nodded and ran back to his work station.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I know this isn't getting as many reads as some of my other stories but I have  deal for you guys.

If this story gets to 135 reads by the 15th (that gives you 12 days to get about 8 reads) then I'll go on an updating spree for this book.

So, please share, read, comment, vote, and all that jazz!

Until next time,

CarolineMartin2003