Chapter eight: Carrie

I didn't really have time to rest, after I went into the woods to practice my shooting I saw a shine of gold from behind a bush.

"Who's there?" I asked reading my bow toward the bush.

Only a growl answered me.

"Show yourself."

The monster launched itself at me, I had no time to defend myself. The golden hide sparkled in the morning sunlight. It's ginormous paws held be down. It's massive weight made it hard to breath.

Somehow I was able to move my arm. I pressed my watch, my bow disappeared and a sword replaced it.

The beast's breath smelled of rotting flesh. I could feel it's claws ripping into my skin. It's jagged teeth so close to my face that if I were to have even sneezed then I would cut my nose on it's teeth.

I gripped the hilt of my sword. I smacked the blade against the golden hide, waiting for it to turn to dust.

But I had no such luck. That just made the lion-like creature angry.

Then I realised something. This wasn't just some everyday monster. This was the Nemean Lion.

I kicked it with all the strength I could muster in the stomach. I don't think Mr Nemean Lion liked that very much. It jumped off of me for just enough time for me to jump up and switch out my sword for my bow.

All I needed now was for it to stop trying to kill me and open it's mouth.

The beast let out a booming roar and it launched itself toward me. Just as it did so I stepped back and fired a volley of arrows into the monster's open mouth. It landed looking like it just tried to swallow a porcupine.

It started coughing and hacking, trying desperately to get the arrows out of his mouth. It fell and immediately turned to dust, leaving behind it's amazingly beautiful golden hide.

I slowly approached the hide. Silky yet rough, warm yet ice cold. So many different feelings. It was nothing, yet everything.

Beautiful yet revolting. Succulent yet foul.

I draped it over my shoulders and it became a liquid, flowing under my praetor cape but not under my clothing. Before my very eyes it morphed into a sweatshirt. I felt the black fabric, it read "Camp Ops"

I walked back to camp, the second I saw the light Max tackled me with a hug.

"Mate, what the heck was that roar?"

"Just a little monster." I sighed.

"Yeah, kittens always sound like that." He rolled his eyes, "And what's with the outfit change?"

"Just a little gift from our little monster friend."

"That little monster friend happen to be, I don't know, the Nemean Lion?"

"Quite possibly."

"Weren't your eyes— nevermind." Max shook his head and walked over to the fire.

"What?" I walked over and sat next to him.

"They're... different." He spoke, almost as if he didn't want to tell me something.

"What?" I repeated.

"They aren't as... soft."

"When have they ever been soft?" I asked, appalled that I was ever soft.

"No, not like that, they're like... electric."

"No way, are you pulling my leg?"

"Look!" He handed me a metal water bottle.

I gazed at my reflection and I almost didn't recognize myself. My usual stony eyes were a startling electric blue, my tousled blonde hair had lines of grey. My freckles weren't as faded as they were, they were now bold and more in number.

I guess that's what I get for getting struck with the master bolt.

"What happened in Nevada?" Max eyed me, trying to figure out the reason behind my new appearance.

"Depends, do you want the story I'll tell council or what I would tell someone I truly trust?"

"The truth, Neptuna's in her tent probably sleeping and Alivia took Natalie for a walk in the forest so they won't overhear us."

"Okay." I took off my dog tag and put it in my pocket then turned toward him, "Zeus attacked me."

"Seriously? Mate, you should be dead right now."

"Thanks for the words of encouragement." I laughed.

"I didn't mean it like that, I just meant—"

"It's fine, you're right, I should be dead, I have absolutely no idea why I'm not."

"Maybe Apollo's sticking up for you." Max shrugged.

"I doubt it, Apollo probably doesn't even know I exist, let alone stick up for me."

"You never know—"

"I do know. For all I know Apollo hates me and I'm really getting sick of the monster attacks."

"Isn't your dog tag stopping them?"

"I don't know, but it doesn't seem like it."

"I wonder why, doesn't yours have extra power in it?"

"Yeah."

"Uh mate," Max made a quick grab for his sword.

"Let me guess," I sighed, "Another monster?"

"Yep."

"I got this." I pressed my watch and, without thinking, shot an arrow behind me, turning the monster to dust.

Max put his sword back to his side and sat down again. "Good shot, mate."

"Yeah." I nodded. "Uh, hey," I lowered my voice. "Why is Neptuna here?"

"Are you serious mate?"

"Of course I am, I'm always serious."

"...You...You do know who... Who Neptuna is, right?"

"Absolutely no idea."

"I'll be right back." Max hurriedly got up and ran into the woods.

"Why is that such a big deal?" I asked myself.

By the time Max did come back the ground around me was covered in monster dust. Monster after monster came out of the woods. They had obviously been waiting for Max to leave.

"What happened?" Natalie asked.

"Monsters." I sighed.

"Okay mate, tell them what you told me." Max sat down across from me.

"About what?" I questioned.

"About Neptuna."

"Okay then," I eyed him, trying to figure out what he was up to. "Why's Neptuna on this quest? There's supposed to only be four people per quest."

"You're joking, right?" Natalie laughed.

"Not at all." I sighed and rubbed my head, why did everyone think I was joking?

"Uh, Natalie can I talk with you and Max over here for a moment?" Alivia pulled both of them toward the woods.

After a loud argument they came back. I couldn't make out the words that were yelled but I could tell they were about me.