Chapter fourteen: Elymas

The strange boy crashed in my alley, luckily at the time Marshmallow was sitting on my shoulder so she didn't get hurt. By the time I got over to him he was already unconscious.

"What do you think is wrong with him Marshmallow?" I whispered to Marshmallow. "Maybe he's dead. Hope he's not dead, that would be very bad for us."

I grabbed the boy by his shoulders and dragged him over to the alley wall.

"Come on, wake up." I hit him in the face, and shook him violently.

"Miaow." Marshmallow disagreed.

"You have a better plan?" I asked the cat. She was giving me a look that said, wow that wasn't smart.

"Who do you think he is?" I thought out loud.

"Mrow." She jumped off of me and onto the boy.

"Wait, he has a dog tag." I reached out and gripped the purple dog tag.

It shimmered before my very eyes and suddenly read,

"Carrie Martin" but nothing more. I could tell there was supposed to be more, but there wasn't.

Marshmallow started hissing like crazy.

"Fssk." She hissed a lot, and I heard the sound of a horse behind me.

I jumped back and gazed at the beautiful stallion in front of me. The horse laid down in front of the boy and started licking the blood off of the boy's hair and face.

It looked like he had a nasty gash from his hairline all the way down to his chin and so many more cuts.

To be honest I was too scared to go anywhere near the strange horse so I looked toward Marshmallow.

"Let's go get some food." I nodded, she jumped onto my shoulder and together we walked to the restaurant on the corner.

"Hey Elymas." The owner nodded to me.

"Hello, do you have any scraps tonight?"

"Of course, anything for you." She handed me a plastic plate full of chunks of bread, meat and other foods that were left over from the day.

"Thank you." I smiled and walked back to my alley with the food.

"Mrow." Marshmallow reminded me and I quickly fed her a chunk of meat.

To the normal eye I was just a homeless boy with ripped up sweatpants and some ratty t-shirt. But to some people in this dang Kansas town I was like a child to them.

"Yo horse thing, you want some?" I grabbed a handful of bread and reached out to feed it to the strange horse.

For a second I could've sworn that the horse glared at me then it stood and something new appeared, wings. I jumped back, eyes wide at the new body parts. But the horse didn't care, it trotted over to me and ate the food out of my out stretched hand.

Luckily, I knew my mythology.

"Wait, no way. Is that...?" I looked from the horse to Marshmallow, "A pegasus." I whispered then the pegasus calmed down and returned to licking the boy's face.

"Who is that guy and why is a pegasus licking him?" I eyed the boy.

Marshmallow climbed down from my shoulder and strutted over to the boy, I kneeled down next to him.

"Mon-monsters... E-everywhere." He murmured, obviously still unconscious.

"What the heck does that mean?" I turned to Marshmallow.