Chapter thirty seven: Neptuna

Four days until war.

"Pay attention or we'll all get yelled at!" Liza hissed.

"I am!" I hissed back.

"No, you're—"

"Is there a problem?" Carrie boomed.

"No sir." Liza threw a glare at me.

"Good," Carrie turned back to the class. "Now can anyone tell me the side effects of a stunning arrow?"

Ms. Know-it-all's hand shot up, but Carrie tried not to pick her, she answered everything.

No one else raised their hand.

"Yes?" Carrie pointed to her.

"The side effects of a stunning arrow can range anywhere from a limb being numb for a few minutes all the way to death."

"Now, what is one way to completely eliminate the chance of death?"

"You can't." She spoke up.

"Actually you can, can anyone tell me how it can be done?"

No one spoke, after a few moments one of the shyest girls stepped forward and spoke almost as a whisper.

"If you don't hit them in a major vein or artery."

"Correct!" Carrie exclaimed. "Now, what is the best place to hit an ally with a stunning arrow?"

"Why would you need to? If they're your allies then you shouldn't need to attack them at all." I questioned, not expecting him to answer.

"At times there is a need to show that you are not afraid to use force, even in difficult times."

"You shouldn't need to use force at all, that's what allies are for." I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Allies can get out of hand, even reckless at times, but that doesn't mean that they're not still allies, correct?"

"Yes, but no one should be afraid of allies. They're allies."

"I never said anything about fear, but if you would dare to launch into that argument then, if someone fears their allies then it's not a true ally, it's more of a slavery. Though in an ally there should be more respect than fear but there should always be fear."

"Fear is what creates bonds. Learn that and it gets quite simple to make some extremely dangerous allies."

"Fear isn't what—" I tried to speak up but Liza elbowed me in the side.

"As I was saying," Carrie ignored the fact that I was now mutedly arguing with Liza and continued to teach us. "The best place to shoot an enemy or ally with a stunning arrow is near no major veins or arteries. Take, as an example, the leg." He reached down and motioned to his leg, guestering to parts of the leg as he spoke. "You always want to shoot according to the time you would like for them to be unconscious. The inner shin for a few hours but the outer thigh for only about half an hour. If you wish for them to be unconscious for just a few moments hit them in the sides— yes?" He pointed to a girl in the front.

"Wouldn't their armour be there?" She questioned.

"Yes, that is why it is much more difficult to stun enemies during the battle. But now that you've brought up the armour it's time for a little demonstration." Carrie strode into the shed and wheeled out a table covered in all sorts of armour.

He started stacking the armour, shooting through all of it, them explaining to us how it worked. But right as he was about to shoot into the third armour stack he lowered his bow and murmured, "What in the name of the gods—" then he put the arrow back into his quivver.

"I'll be right back." He nodded, pulled out a different arrow then jogged in a different direction.

A shadow suddenly loomed over us, my gaze drifted upwards and my mouth dropped. Above us on the other side of camp, was a giant drakon.