Chp. 3 "Attraction"

Chp. 3 "Attraction"

The weekend passed quickly, just like it always did, and soon it was Monday morning again. The weekends always seemed to be insignificant as well, but that was because I really didn’t have any friends. It’s not like I needed friends, or wanted more friends, I just wasn’t good at making them. High school was almost over anyway, what was the point in meeting and wasting my time befriending them?

We would all just go our separate ways after we graduated anyway.

We walked into science and I read the board immediately. We were having normal class but he still wanted us to sit with our newly assigned partners.

Which I didn’t understand but… ok.

Max gave me a look I didn’t like and then a wink, which only annoyed me further. I knew what his secret messages were referring to, which was Avery. I sat in my usual seat but awaited my new partner, feeling my heart bet pick up speed just thinking about her. Her reddish brown hair that was always fixed to look nice, her natural looking makeup always made her look even prettier than she already was…

She was just perfect.

 Then she walked in, her hair pulled into a pony tail and her bangs flowing around her glowing face. She was dressed simplistic today, her flowing sweater falling softly over her tight, dark jeans. She sat next to me immediately and spoke, “Hey.”

I nodded, “Hey.”

“So what’s the plan today?”

I shrugged, “I don’t know, looks like we’re just gonna have a normal day today.”

She nodded, “Did he ever say when that project is due in the first place?”

I thought about it and realized he hadn’t, which was pretty stupid. I watched him set up a projector and start a movie, skipping the features. He spoke, “Watch this video and fill out the worksheets I have for you on each of your desks. Oh, and the project is due this Friday so get to work.”

I groaned in response, “Well, guess we know now.”

The movie began and I started filling in the blanks, starting with my name and the date. I noticed Avery was sitting a little closer than usual today, and she was left handed, so every time we went to write we would touch. It was innocent, and involuntary, but she wouldn’t scoot away from me, which led me to start thinking about what was actually going on with her.

I barely knew the girl, but she seemed down to earth and nice. Maybe she thought the same of me, maybe she knew I was a lesbian, and maybe she was taking interest to me too.

I wasn’t getting my expectations up of course but it was pleasant thinking about her possibly being attracted to me.

The lights were dim but I could still make out her glowing eyes as they switched from her paper to the movie. She always zoned out when she did school work in this class, completely focused on the assignment at hand.