Chp. 49 "Desperate Times, Desperate Measures"

Chp. 49 “Desperate Times, Desperate Measures”

“We’ve located and matched the hormone.”

I gazed at Henson while feeling a bit confused as he continued trying to explain to me what was going on. I nodded, “Ok, so that’s good news right?”

He smiled, “Yes Andy, it is, and everything’s going to be much easier, but it might be a timely process.” His voice trailed off as if he was referring to Avery, who was now back in her room and asleep after eating breakfast and taking her usual sleeping pill.

I shook my head in denial, “It can’t be, Avery’s dying, Henson. I can’t let her die.”

He tapped his pen against his notepad, as if he was thinking of something but wasn’t sure if he could tell me. His expression was laced with worry, and I could tell he was unsure about something, but it was just him and I in this room. Why would he feel that way?

He scooted his chair closer to me, setting down his pen, “You have a gland in your brain Andy, it produces hormones that heal your body when you’re sick, hurt, or you just feel bad. Everyone has it, animals have it, but you have a special piece in your gland now, just like Blaine. That’s how you’re able to heal so fast without dying, literally making you immortal.”

I nodded, “Ok? So what does that have to do with anything?”

“Just listen to me,” he stood, tracing his finger behind my ear and through my hair that was in a ponytail. It felt weird, but I wasn’t stopping him, then he spoke, “The important gland is located right here,” his finger pressed against the back, right side of my head, “And your normal gland is about the size of a quarter, but the Healing gland is about the size of a penny.”

He sat back down, and I stared at him while I waited for him to continue with this story that seemed to be a waste of time. I nodded, “Ok.”

“When you get hurt, sick, or some into contact with a deadly disease, your gland automatically responds, producing thousands of healing hormones in a second. It also happens when something in your body dies, any cell, vein, or even something as simple as a hair follicle. It’s why you’re considered immortal now, because nothing in your body can die.”

I tried seeing the point, “So, when I get hurt, that gland produces the hormones that you guys need for a cure?”

He nodded eagerly, “Yes, but they disappear just as fast as they come depending on the wound.”

I was trying to see what he was getting at but was coming up short. What was he trying to propose exactly? That he intentionally hurt me just to locate and trap the needed hormones easier than draining my body of blood?

That actually didn’t sound like a bad theory.

I know if sounded medieval but desperate times call for desperate measures, right?

Henson continued, “The more severe the wound, the more hormones that are produced and rushed to the part of the body. So what I propose is that-”