Chp. 25 "Eye Opener"

I stared at my mom in disbelief, feeling a sense of regret and sorrow wash over me. My biological father was dead, and he had been dead for nearly 10 years of my life. As I sat there in silence I had done the math in my head; Teal was 39 years old and my father would've been 40 now. He died back in 2004 which meant he was 30 when he died, and that means I was given up to the Brocks when my mom, Teal, was just 21 years old.

It was all so much to take in, and ignoring the ache in my heart was now becoming impossible. I leaned back in the chair and gazed into Teal's eyes, seeing the look of pain and longing to see Fred again. At the moment she had told me he died I regretted coming here, but looking at my mom now I was glad I did. I was relieved that I knew the truth, but I needed to know why and how he died.

For my sake.

The table had remained silent for a while but it was about to be broken, I questioned, "Do you mind me asking... how?"

Her eyes glazed over, as if she was completely lost in the memory of Fred's death. She shook her head, "No honey, I'll tell you, you have the right to know..."

My eyes took in Avery, Max and Gage's statue-like figures, knowing they were just as shocked as I was about all of this. Avery's eyes took me in first and I saw pity in her gaze, which only made me more depressed because the last thing I needed was everyone's pity.

If anyone in here needed pity, it was Teal. Then again, if she was anything like me I'm sure she wouldn't want it either.

"Fred was an ambitious man, and out of everyone in that Bureau he was the one that wanted to take down the F.P.S. the most, I'm sure of it. Andy, after you were born we wanted out of the agency, we wanted to live a normal life with you but we couldn't..."

I listened to her speak and I could hear the desperation in her voice, which let me know she was telling the absolute truth.

She continued, "I was granted freedom to leave but the problem was your father. The F.P.S. was looking for him, and back then they had a kill list of people they believe posed a threat to them and the entire country. Your father was on that list, and that was because of the power he possessed. They saw him as a threat, someone that needed to be taken out, which is why we could never make contact with you while you grew up. He couldn't get out of the Bureau's agency either because of the F.P.S., because the Bureau was afraid your father would be murdered at any time. He had no choice but to continue running missions against the government."

I felt a familiar hand slip through mine under the table, and I turned to see Avery giving me a weak smile of support. There was nothing she really could do at the moment besides sit here and listen, but she was trying to be there for me. I gave her a grateful smile before returning my gaze to my mom, "So what happened? Since Fred couldn't get out of the Bureau agency and the F.P.S. was after him?

"The only thing he could do; to keep fighting against the F.P.S. When you were born we raised you for a year Andrea. Fred and I fell in love with you, and when we were practically forced to give you up we were heartbroken. We knew we couldn't give you to someone who had no idea about the supernatural, which would've been a disaster in the years to come. So we called up Ryan and Sandra Brock and told them everything that was going on, and they took you in, no questions asked."

I thought back to my parents and how they selfless they were, knowing they were raising a child that wasn't their own. Raising me simply because their friends needed help in a dire situation, and how amazing they were for that. I found myself smiling at the thought of my parents, my real parents, the ones who raised me and loved me unconditionally.