Chp. 56 "Shocking Secrets"

"I've never been so hungry in my life!"

I was currently having lunch with my three friends, like old times before Avery got sick and was bed-written. Max and Avery had been getting along better now that Avery was back to normal, but of course they still liked to push each other's buttons.

Old habits never die, I guess.

I continued eating and enjoying everyone's company, realizing I had been missing this a lot since we had gotten here. Max interrupted the silence, "So, training has been going super well for Gage and I."

I looked at him, remembering how I had started a couple of days ago with Roger. We had done a lot of physical training, and I knew once Avery gained more strength she would start as well. I had to admit though, Max and Gage definitely buffed up quite a bit since starting, and they were more defined than they used to be.

I was proud that they were actually being productive.

Avery nudged his arm, "Yea, you finally put some muscle on your bones. Good job."

Max made a sarcastic face and eyed me from across the table, and I knew there were things that he wanted to tell Avery. Avery had no idea what we three had heard the other day, hours before she had gotten her vaccine. She had no idea who was actually behind the disease, and who actually created it. Max seemed to want to break the news to her but I shook my head, hoping that he wouldn't bring it up.

Not now.

I wanted to be alone with her, where she wouldn't be surrounded by a bunch of people that most likely had no idea about the F.P.S. and what they had done. I didn't want to risk our secret as well, because we weren't even supposed to know in the first place.

We had been eavesdropping.

We finished up our lunch and we all exited the lunch room in silence, and I knew it was killing Max keeping something this big from Avery. He was begging me silently to tell her, and I indicated for him to wait till we were alone and out of hearing range.

We continued walking down the narrow halls as we made our way towards my room where we were all going to hang out.

And break the bad news to Avery.

I wasn't looking forward to it, mostly because I had no idea how she was going to react to it. I mean she literally had almost died from this disease, so finding out someone actually created it might shock her.

Or anger her, like it did me.

I unlocked my familiar room and allowed all three of my friends in, locking the door behind me. Avery seemed to be oblivious to what was actually about to happen, but I knew there was no pleasant way of doing this.

I sighed, "Avery, there's something we need to tell you."

She looked up at us with fear written in her eyes, and she shook her head, "Oh God, don't tell me I'm dead and this is all just some weird dream."

I laughed slightly towards her and shook my head, sitting next to her while Max and Gage stayed on the other side of the room. I placed my hand on her knee and responded, "No Avery, but there's something we found out yesterday while you were asleep before you got vaccinated."

Her eyes had worry in them, and she was scared, but I was to, because this was quite scary. The thought of someone in power creating a disease that could wipe out an entire human race within years was terrifying, and I was about to tell Avery this.