Chp. 19 "Rehearsal"

Chp. 19 "Rehearsal"

Graduation rehearsal was the most boring thing I swear that was ever invented. I was sitting in my assigned seat as we were now being prepared to walk across the stage to "accept our diplomas." Luckily I didn't have to wait long because my last name was Brock and I would be one of the first to go up there. Then Max would follow up not long after with the last name Davidson, then Avery would have to wait nearly a lifetime with her last name.

My row stood, walking to the end of the row of chairs and preparing to walk across the stage. It wasn't a big deal now because of course this was just practice, but tomorrow morning would be the real thing. I knew walking across that stage would be one of the most frightening but most exhilarating experiences I would ever have.

People walked across the stage, accepting the fake diplomas and laughing as they were all giddy with excitement. Sure, I was excited, but honestly I was thinking more about after graduation. All four of us would be leaving almost immediately after and there was no time to bullshit around.

"Andrea Grace Brock!" I was soon snapped out of my trance as I was nearly shoved across the stage, shaking hands with the principal and ushered off back to my seat. I rolled my eyes in annoyance as I realized this was a waste of time, but it was required of us to be here.

I resumed walking towards my assigned seat and leaned back impatiently, pulling out my phone and texting Avery, "This really sucks."

I held my phone in my lap as I watched kids continue to walk across the stage, some of them looking even less excited than me.

Which was something I didn't think was possible.

I felt my phone vibrate, "How you think I feel? I have to wait an eternity!"

I smiled, sending a quick response, "How you think I feel? I have to wait for you!"

I knew we would be here until everyone was through but I loved to push Avery's buttons. She was always so feisty when she was fired up, and it turned me on. I glanced back, seeing her waiting impatiently as her eyes snapped up to mine. She gave me a sarcastic smile which I figured was a response to my text message, and I felt my phone vibrate once more.

I opened the text, "Keep it up and you'll be sleeping on the couch this weekend in the hotel room."

My heart hammered as I couldn't contain my smile anymore, this girl was just too much. I rapidly responded, "You wouldn't last long in that bed without me."

Her response was almost immediate, "You're right."

I felt my face redden at her text, knowing she was flirting with me even over text messages. I smiled, leaning back in my seat as I wondered what tomorrow would hold for us.

But for now it was graduation rehearsal, and the boredom would only grow worse.

~ ~ ~ ~

Avery, Max and I were finally walking out of the convention center which we were just rehearsing graduation in. I groaned, "This really did suck, two hours wasted when we could've been doing something awesome."

Avery looped her arm through mine and pulled me close, "Like what?"

Max nearly shouted, "Like eating! I'm frikkin starving..."

We got closer to my car that was waiting in the parking lot, and I heard Avery shout, "Shotgun!"

Max groaned, "Dammit..."