Chp. 72 "Escape"

Chp. 72 “Escape”

My heart was pounding hard in my chest as we finally came to a stop in the stairwell. We had made it down three flights of stairs before we ran into trouble, and we realized the emergency stairwell ended on the second floor, not the ground floor. Also, they had locked the door or something because we couldn’t get through.

Roger rammed the door but it was no use, we weren’t getting through that door without some kind of super power.

He looked at me, “Think you can push that thing out?”

He was speaking to me but I wasn’t sure exactly what he wanted me to do. I knew I was pretty strong but pushing a door off its hinges? Could I actually do that?

I nodded, “I’ll try.”

Max, Avery, and Roger took cover behind the wall next to me, watching my back just in case someone came running down the staircase after us. I found the familiar force that I knew so well, knowing I had obtained it from my birth mother and was so thankful for it. I knew how powerful this specific power was and what I could do with it, I was just hoping I could break free of this door.

I held it back for some time, building it up until I knew it would be strong enough to knock this door out of our way. I exhaled heavily, sending the invisible force barreling towards the locked door, and to my surprise the door flew backwards and clean off of the wall.

Instantly I was able to take in the scene, and I heard the firing of guns as I ducked behind the other wall, looking at Roger and my friends. I screamed, “There’s about twenty of them.”

Roger directed, “Send them a blast.”

I knew what he meant, and although it wouldn’t kill the agents it would definitely knock them off their feet. I pulled into myself again, feeling the force build up like it was waiting to explode, and I found it was becoming much easier the more I used it.

I then stepped into firing range, sending the blast immediately and sent desks, chair, and Agents flying through the air. They hadn’t expected me but a couple of bullets had managed to pierce through some of my skin. I held my arm as Roger, Avery, and Max moved in quickly, taking cover behind another wall as I felt my skin tingle from the Healing.

The white pain burned through my arm as I closed my eyes, hiding behind the wall next to my friends.

Roger spoke, “Cover me.”

And he turned, shooting at the Agents through the room. I had never imagined being in a gun fight but this was nothing like I had imagined. It was quick, it was brutal, and it was awfully painful to be shot. I knew I needed to help get us out of here, and although I had managed to knock out over half of the Agents, there were still a few shooting at us.

I heard hollering, screams of agony and pain, and multiple gun shots ringing through my ears. It was too much, and it took me everything I had not to break down and cry. It was so traumatizing, and I immediately realized we weren’t prepared for this.