Chp. 21 "And We're Off!"

My feet were tapping nervously as I continued to silently glance back and search for Blaine, but he was nowhere to be found. Had I really seen him or was my mind just playing tricks on me? And if he was here what exactly did he want?

Avery’s row was finally starting to walk across stage but all I could think about was Blaine. He had to be here for a reason, I knew I had seen him…

I wasn’t going crazy.

I felt the adrenaline course through my veins as I watched the stage intensely, wondering how much longer I would have to sit here in agony. I needed to go look for Blaine; I just needed to get more information out of him. Also, I knew he was here for a reason, and that reason couldn’t be good if he was showing up in a crowded place like this after he had withdrawn from school.

I felt my heart pound in my chest like a jack hammer; I knew sitting here for another twenty minutes was going to kill me. Avery’s name was called and she walked across the stage reluctantly, and suddenly I didn’t feel so crazy anymore. Whenever I saw her my mood changed, no matter what I was doing, and she always seemed to be able to calm me down. It amazed me because even right now, when my emotions were obviously getting the best of me, she was the one to bring be back to earth.

I saw her eyes gaze up at the audience again, knowing she was searching for her mom’s face but not having any luck. I was praying she was here because if she realizes both of her parents missed one of the most important days in her life her mood would definitely drop.

And I knew I wouldn’t be able to fix it this time.

Graduation was winding down and we were now at the end of the alphabet, and I was extremely grateful. Soon the last person accepted their diploma and there was a speech, and another speech, and then I knew we would stand soon. We rose from our seats, allowing me to glance back again but not having any luck finding Blaine. My stare returned forward as I impatiently waited for us to start filing out, and my brain was on overdrive along with my heart at this moment.

I wanted to leave; I wanted to get the hell out of here and see Blaine and ask him for help. I needed to ask him what to do and get information… I needed-

Then I heard loud cheering and hats being thrown in the air as the ceremony ended, quickly pulling me out of my trance. My hat was still on my head but honestly, I didn’t give one shit. I wanted out of here, and soon we began filing out of the auditorium slowly.

We were cramming inside another narrow hallway when I felt a familiar hand on my shoulder, and then it took the cap off my head. Avery’s eyes found mine, “You didn’t throw your hat?”

I shook my head, “Avery… Blaine’s here. Remember the guy that… you know… gave me healing powers? I saw him in the crowd when I walked across the stage.” My voice was in a harsh, frantic whisper as I prayed Avery knew what I was talking about.

Then I saw her face change from confused to alert, “Are you sure?”