Chp. 37 "Phase 1"

Chp. 37 "Phase 1"

"Is everything set to go? The last thing I wanna to do is forget anything important and have to turn back around."

I looked around Avery's driveway, realizing this was it, we were finally leaving for Phase 1. I grabbed Avery's hand, pulling her into me and smiling, "No, I think we're set."

"Then let's get a move on, we need to leave now if we wanna make it to the hotel in time."

Avery and I piled into the backseat while Gage and Max took their places in the front. I didn't know what to expect of the road trip there but I was hoping I could relax. I was curious about the meeting we had arranged with Agent Harris but that was hours away.

My fingers found the necklace that was sitting around my neck, taking the dog tag in between my pointer and thumb. I rubbed it, and I didn't know how to explain it, but when I did I felt a sense of comfort come over me. I thought about my parents, and this always seemed to calm me down with ease.

I already missed them.

I gazed out the window, wondering what would happen once we actually made it to the Bureau. What were they planning on doing to me? And how exactly were they going to use me as a contributor for the cure to the BD3?

Were they going to take my blood? Test my DNA?

Thinking about it only caused more questions to swarm in my head so I tried to focus on something else. I looked over to Avery who was scrolling through her playlist on her phone, and I realized she was completely oblivious to my stare.

I took in her smooth legs that were kissed by the Florida sun, and her tight muscle shirt that showed off her other perfect features. The more I gazed at her the more I realized she was absolutely perfect, and the fact that she could fight only made her sexier. She was starting to look really irresistible-

"DAMMIT!"

I jumped in my seat, grabbing Avery's arm in the process. Gage swerved violently as he punched Max in the arm in response, "Fuck Max, don't do that!"

Max huffed in the seat, seeming to be completely fed up with whatever was going on.

I retorted, "What? You forgot something?"

"No," he threw his phone violently on the middle console of the front seat, "This game is bullshit."

I laughed, "What game?"

"Flappy Bird."

I looked at him with a confused expression on my face, realizing I had played that game a million times on my phone. Once you got the hang of it, it was pretty simple. I was just shocked he had actually screamed like a little girl and nearly caused our deaths by making Gage swerve off the road.

Then Gage broke the silence again, "Andy, what do you think Agent Harris is going to talk to us about?"

I sighed, knowing my friends would be curious just like I was, "Well, he's most likely going to brief us on Phase 2. He could possibly give us more information on the Bureau too, you never know."

In reality I had not a clear idea of what we could discuss during the meeting, it could range from a lot of possibilities. I was hoping he would give us some insight on Agent Boyd and the Protection Bureau, and why exactly we had to drive there rather than fly. I mean a three to four day trip, seriously?

I knew they had a reason, but I was just clueless on what it was.

"You think we'll run into any heat on the way?"