Chp. 48 "It's a Date"

"Hey, how are you feeling?"

Avery's light eyes focused on me, and even though she looked semi-healthy I knew what she felt like, and I hated thinking about it. I wanted to help her, I wanted to make her feel better, but I knew I couldn't take her pain away. I wished I could, just so I could see her smile or something, but I knew she felt really sick already and it was just going to get worse.

She shrugged lightly, turning over in her bed to face me as I sat close to her in my usual chair. I had spent almost all my time sitting here, just watching her and keeping her company. They always had to come get me and nearly drag me out of here when we needed to get some work done.

"I'm alright."

I placed a hand on her head, lacing it slowly through her matted hair because she had been sweating. She was still hot from the fever, but I knew she would want to take a shower soon, and I was up for helping her. I wanted her to feel as normal as possible, and not feel like she couldn't look to me for help. I knew the fever was making her weak, and the nausea only made her feel even worse. There had been a couple of times where I had to hold her hair back while she threw up, not being able to take it anymore.

I hated seeing her like this.

I placed a light kiss on her temple, feeling her burning skin against my lips as I held it there for a little bit. The day was winding down and that would make it three days Avery had been diagnosed, and she was already starting to feel completely ill. I didn't know why she was worsening so fast, but it was really scaring me.

She sat up, seeming to do it with little difficulty, which made me feel a little better. She stared at me and smiled, "I'd like to shower."

I smiled forcefully, watching her walk slowly to the bathroom as I locked the door and followed behind her. She began unbuttoning her shirt as she questioned, "So, any luck with testing today?"

I swallowed, not wanting to tell her we weren't making much progress, but I also didn't want to lie. I shrugged; trying to make it seem like testing was going well, "They were more eager today, so I'm taking it as a good sign."

She smiled, this time I could tell it was a bit more genuine and was laced with a hint of excitement. She nodded, "Good."

Her shirt fell to the floor, revealing her petite upper body that was now completely bare. She hadn't been wearing a bra considering she was burning up. The less clothes the more comfortable she was. I studied her, and it was like I was looking for any abnormalities that were visible, but I knew they were all going on inside of her.

She slid her shorts off and exposed herself completely, and I moved in towards her. I didn't want to hurt her, considering I knew she was physically feeling like shit, but I wanted to love her. I felt like I was losing her and the more I watched her the more it pained me deep inside my heart.

She accepted my embrace, and also allowed me to kiss her. I felt her skin against my hands, feeling the familiar sense of warmth that now radiated off of her. It wasn't the normal temperature, it was much higher, but it didn't slow me down.

Her hands roamed against my face, lacing through my hair that was hanging loosely. Feeling her lips against me made the hole in my heart kind of disappear; although I knew it was still there. Nothing was better yet, but feeling like it was for a little bit made this situation tolerable.

She whispered, "Please shower with me."

I smiled weakly, hearing the desperation in her voice as I nodded against her forehead. She sounded scared, and this scared me even more, but I wouldn't protest. I wanted to make her happy, and if this is what she wanted I would give it to her.