Chp. 33 "Convincing Lies"

Chp. 33 “Convincing Lies”

I was panting from exhaustion, Max was tired too but I had gone through a lot more grueling practice than he had. We had been going at it for hours now, and mentally I could go no more. I had been fighting off his electrical jabs and lifting cars, and I had even expanded the ability to morph my powers. It was harsh, and I was sweating profusely, praying Max would end this session and just return tomorrow.

He sat wearily on the hood of a run-down car, checking his watch, “Damn, has it been that long already?”

I was lying next to Avery on the hood of my car, my hands above my head as I tried to catch my breath form the last exercise. She rubbed my arm in support and nodded, “It’s been four hours, and it’s time for a break.”

I groaned in protest, “It’s time to go home.”

Gage had joined Avery in watching the show about two hours ago, and I heard him pipe up. “Yea Max, you two need a break, and you need to finish packing.”

He crossed his arms in defense, and I watched in slight humor as he tenses his muscles in attempt to look manly and uncaring. I knew he was tired, I could see it in his expression, and I knew he would give in to his brother’s command.

He never listened to me anyway.

He sighed, “Fine, but tomorrow we need to practice more. We’ve agreed we’re leaving the day after tomorrow, we need to practice as much as we can.”

I nodded in agreement, anything for him to let me go home, take a hot shower, and lay in a comfortable bed. I looked over to Gage who was fidgeting around with his phone in boredom, I spoke, “Gage, can you drive the Tahoe over to my house to pick up my luggage?”

He gave me an approving look and nod, pointing to Avery, “Avery’s too?”

“Yea, after we go to my house.”

He spoke to Max, “Let’s go then.”

We made our way out of the junkyard, knowing we would be returning tomorrow. Avery was driving down the long stretch of empty road, and I was just way too tired to speak. I needed rest, physically and mentally.

She grabbed my hand, “You did so good today.”

I smiled at her words of encouragement, feeling a sense of accomplishment coming from it. I looked over to her, “Thanks. We didn’t scare you too much did we?”

She laughed, “A little, but you two know what you’re doing.”

I squeezed her hand gently as we finally made it back to my house, allowing her and I to run up to my room and grab my things. We had packed for a while, and even though I had a couple of bags I knew this still wasn’t everything. I would need to finish up tomorrow night. I quickly let my parents know I was planning on staying over at Avery’s another night and would be back tomorrow to finish up everything. I felt bad for always leaving them behind, but I needed to keep them safe and away from danger.