Chp. 27 "Home Sweet Home"

Chp. 27 “Home Sweet Home”

About an hour after the insane stunt Gage had pulled by ditching whoever was following us I had fallen asleep on Avery’s lap. I hadn’t dreamt about anything significant, but when I had woken up I realized it was dark and we had to be almost home. I knew my parents were expecting us to be home late but since we had gone off the highway for a while it had set us back at least an hour.

I checked my phone for a time and I realized it was 12:34 in the morning, and according to the GPS we would be home soon.

I rocked Avery awake and she sat up, looking at me with confusion in her eyes, “Are we home yet?”

I shook my head, “Almost.”

She smiled, leaning into me, “Can I stay at your place tonight?”

I nodded nervously, knowing I could never tell this girl no even if I tried. I cupped her face gently in my hands, “Yes, I would love that.”

I knew my parents still had work considering they did get a summer vacation but Avery and I wouldn’t have anything to do. It was summer time, and maybe we could unwind a little bit before starting out on our quest to find the Protection Bureau.

Then we were interrupted by Max, “So, tomorrow after everyone recoups, are we calling Roger?”

I rolled my eyes, realizing that Max was right. We couldn’t take days off, I was needed to help find a cure to this damn disease. This disease was spreading rapidly, and I knew it would make its way down south in maybe another month. There was no time to waste, and relaxing on the side of Avery’s pool sunbathing was not an option.

At least not till after we settled this.

I answered Max’s question, “Yea, I guess so.”

Remembering the events that happened today frightened me, knowing that if Gage hadn’t been so aware we would’ve provoked a lot more trouble. If he wouldn’t have caught that person following us they would’ve followed us home out found out where I was living.

Also leading them right to my parents, who used to be involved with the Bureau.

I felt as if a lot was going to change, either for better or for worse, but I didn’t know which way it could go. I was nervous because everything I had found out in the last 24 hours was a lot to process, and on top of that we had been in a high-speed highway chase.

Was it a coincidence that this person had been there the exact day me and the rest of the gang decided to make our way to Louisiana? Or was it something else that I had no knowledge about?

Either way, I had a bad feeling that things were going to start moving in fast motion.

~ ~ ~ ~