Chp. 44 "Welcome to the Bureau"

Chp. 44 “Welcome to the Bureau”

I heard the total of six gun shots as I fell back against the cold brick wall, feeling immediate searing white pain in my arms, legs, and chest. I couldn’t breathe, and my eyes searched the man that was trying to kill me.

But who was he?

I glanced to my right, seeing that Roger had covered my friends but it was useless, this guy wasn’t after them, he was after me. I pressed my hands against my chest, feeling a good amount of blood exit through my skin and over my hands as my heart struggled to beat. I didn’t look down because I knew if I saw how much blood I was losing I would most likely faint. My vision was blurry, but I was trying to take deep breaths and wait for my healing to start.

In that very moment I had seen my life flash before my eyes, my parents, Teal, Avery, Max… everything. I had been shocked and caught off guard, and all that had happened in these short seconds had traumatized me. The pain was unbearable, and my head was light headed, and not being able to breathe made it even worse.

Then before I knew it I felt my body responding, and the familiar tingling sensation flowed through my body. It almost hurt, the healing, but it was because the bullets were being involuntarily pushed out of my body. I listened tothem clink as they fell to the cement ground.

The black Dodge Charger pealed out of the parking lot as I turned my head towards my friends that were huddled behind the Tahoe. I slouched down to the cold ground, feeling the last of my wounds finally heal in my chest as I released it with my hands. I didn’t know what to think, all I could remember was the pain that I had just went through in those short ten seconds.

Avery was the first to touch me, and seeing her face brought me back to reality and made me remember my biggest of problems.

Avery was sick.

Finally I was back to my normal state, and I looked down at my white shirt that was almost completely covered in crimson blood. The metallic smell entered through my nose as I leaned my head back against the wall again.

I had lost a lot of blood, but my body was still trying to recuperate.

I heard Roger speak, “We need to get both of them to the Bureau now, they know Andy’s a Healer and Avery might be infected.”

I gazed into Avery’s eyes that were searching mine, she was scared, and she was sad. I brought my hand up to her cheek and forced a smile, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

She shook her head, “It wasn’t until this morning, and I figured I was nauseated from the car ride, but it only got worse during the day.”

I felt tears start to well up in my eyes but I refused to let them to fall. I couldn’t allow that, at least not here. I shook my head in response, not knowing what to say to her. What if she did have the disease? What was I going to do?

“Do you think I have it, Andy?”

I looked at her, feeling the sadness wash all over me and drench me with depression. What could I tell her? Max and Gage had two completely different reactions to the vaccine, and according to Roger, her reaction was anything but good.