Chp. 28 "New Ability"

Chp. 28 “New Ability”

Avery and I were on our way to pick up Max at his house and I was still thinking about what she had done to me just thirty minutes before. I was holding her hand but right now I wanted to be doing so much more than that. I was still furious at Max because he had literally ruined such a perfect moment between her and I, and I couldn’t stop thinking about it.

Avery spoke, “You know, you were getting pretty hot back at your house…”

I looked at her, smirking in the process, “Well I mean, how could I not? Look at you.”

This time she blushed and I smiled from under my hair. I knew she was going to continue reminding me about it because we both obviously wanted it to happen again. I just knew right now wasn’t the right time to be doing this.

But I couldn’t resist her even if I tried.

We pulled up into Max’s driveway and horned, knowing we weren’t going to be making the call here. I was nervous of course, but I knew we had to do it. We had absolutely no time to waste, people were dying every day because of this disease.

And it was up to me to save them, I guess.

He appeared at his door, dressed in a striped muscle-T and a pair of cargo shorts. Even though he was oblivious to my glare I knew he was aware he had interrupted something important when he called. I couldn’t be mad at him forever because it wasn’t really his fault, but I was still desperate for Avery and he ruined the moment.

He joined us in the car, sliding into the backseat, “Well, looks like I’m stuck in the back again.”

I turned to him, annoyance on my face, “Max, just be grateful we decided to pick you up.”

His face twisted to a sneer and he held up his hands, “Okay, who pissed in your cheerios this morning?”

I rolled my eyes and made our way to the junkyard, knowing when we got there everything was going to move in slow motion. What was I going to say to Roger? Was he already waiting for my call? Had he been waiting? And what was our first step going to be in finding this Bureau?

My heart started pounding in my chest as I thought about everything that could happen over the phone. What if he started talking about my real father, Fred? Or what if he already spoke with my mom?

I was trying not to worry about it but it was impossible.

We arrived at the junkyard and Max punched in the code like he usually did, allowing me to drive my car in and out of sight. Avery exited the car swiftly, giving me time to allow my eyes to study her legs in her cutoff jean shorts. Her golden skin was flawless, and I watched desperately as she swayed her hips while she walked.

She looked back at me, her dark hair looking more red than brown in the sunlight, giving her a appealing look. She spoke, “You comin’?”