Chp. 69 "The Plan's in Motion"

Chp. 69 “The Plan’s in Motion”

I felt the nervousness run through my body, and I held onto Avery tight as Walker finished explaining the plan. This was it, we were about to set the plan in motion and the first task was something I wasn’t particularly excited about.

Walker held up two pairs of cuffs, one for both Max and I, and I felt my skin crawl at the sight of them. It freaked me out, but we were staging a kidnapping, so it had to be realistic. Avery’s hand tightened around my arm at the sight of them too, and I knew she was uneasy with this situation.

We were all a little on edge now.

I glanced at Roger and Taylor, knowing Roger had already been inside the F.P.S. to rescue Blaine, but I didn’t know about Taylor. She had to be scared knowing she was going into one of the most dangerous places for someone like her but I figured she would be fine.

I was more worried about her and Avery whenever I would separate from them.

Then Walker broke the silence, “We’re staging a kidnapping and I know you guys could escape easily with all the power Andrea has but hold off on that. The only powers they know you have are Telekinesis and Healing, so don’t give away anything else. And Max, just don’t electrocute anyone.”

Max nodded stiffly as we submitted our freedom to the cuffs that were cold around my wrists. I heard Walker snap them, tightening it to where it was believably inescapable, and I closed my eyes. The pounding in my chest was deafening, and I knew I was scared, even though I couldn’t die I was still completely terrified.

Was that even normal?

I should be fearless, ready to take on anything, but I was terrified and I couldn’t figure out if it was a normal reaction to this whole situation. Everyone else seemed fairly calm, but maybe it was all a front, so I wouldn’t become even more freaked out.

Walker stood, allowing us to take in the reality of us beginning this whole absurd idea. He continued, “Once Pearce is eliminated Taylor and Andrea will teleport the rest of you out of there and to Gage, who will be waiting nearby with the getaway vehicle to drive you all back to the Bureau.”

We all pretty much understood everything that was going to happen, and Gage would be the safest one out of all of us. I was nervous, and my blood was pumping quickly through my body as we began walking outside to Walker’s car.

I gazed at Avery who was next to me, and I knew I wasn’t saying goodbye, but I wanted to just in case. I knew anything could happen and someone could die in any moment, so I wanted to be sure, although I was praying nothing would happen to any of them.

I kissed her softly, and pulled back, seeing a weak smile on her face, “Andy, everything’s going to be ok.”

I nodded, trying to find peace, “I hope so.”

She whispered, “I love you.”

I felt my heart ache, praying all of my friends would be safe but knowing I was mostly praying for Avery. If I lost her I would be devastated, and I knew that there was a possibility she could get hurt. There was a possibility of that for all of them, and I knew I would do my best to protect them.