Chp. 67 "Morning After"

I felt movement against me, immediately waking me up from my sleep. I opened my eyes, seeing Avery's naked body sitting up in her bed, looking at me. I felt my heart ache at her glare, which held quite a bit of confusion and sadness. I didn't quite know what to say to her, but I knew I should say something.

I whispered, "Morning."

I saw the muscles in her jaw clench as she looked away from me, pulling the sheets over her chest, "Morning."

I lifted myself off of my back and crawled over to her, wrapping myself around her for comfort. I ran one of my hands through her hair and looked at her, wondering what I was going to do to fix her. She seemed to cringe when I touched her, and I tried to fight the sadness inside me but it was so hard.

I had really hurt her.

I grazed her jaw with my hand, lifting her face up to see me, "Avery... please talk to me."

She seemed to be fighting back tears, but it was becoming easier for her now, which was oddly depressing to me. I didn't want her to fight back anything, not in front of me, but maybe she was too exhausted to cry.

She shook her head, "I can't get it out of my head, Andy... The thoughts there every second I'm awake, it's in my dreams... It's driving me crazy."

The reason I felt so bad for cheating on her was because I knew how it felt, and even when I had promised Avery I wouldn't, I did anyway. I knew how bad it hurt, and I knew how hard it was to try to forgive, considering you could really never forget the image of someone you love with someone else.

I whispered, "I know what it feels like, ok? It's why I feel so bad, because even when I vowed to you and myself, I still fucked up. I became the person I never wanted to become, and I hurt you."

She looked at me, confusion hidden in her light eyes that seemed worn out and tired, "You've been cheated on?"

I clenched my jaw at the painful memories, nodding, "Yea, multiple times."

This seemed to reach Avery, and she held my hand, "Who?"

I knew I would have to tell her about it eventually, and I shrugged and looked at her, "My first girlfriend, although I barely considered her a girlfriend in all honesty. I really fucking liked her, like the first girl I ever really gave my all too. We were sophomores in high school and we had been dating for about five months, caught her at a party with some other girl."

Avery's hand squeezed, as if she was feeling the pain I had felt all that time ago. I knew she was hurting, and I knew she was hurting bad if she was anything like me. I looked at her, embarrassment written in my eyes, "I forgave her and let her back in, it happened again three weeks later."

Avery sighed, "Fuck that bitch."

I looked at her, wondering why she had transferred her anger from me to my ex-girlfriend, "Avery, I did the same thing to you."

She looked up at me, and I could see something change in her expression, as if she was trying to forgive me. She leaned into me and spoke, "Andy... I love you, but I can read people really well, and I know you love me too. I can see it, I can feel it, and since I can do that, I find it's a lot easier to try and forgive you."

I gave her a skeptical look because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Last night she had thrown me around, and I had let her, and now we were here being all lovey-dovey and shit. I smiled, "You're giving me another chance?"