Chp. 68 "The Final Meeting"

"It needs to be tomorrow, Pearce is going to be in the office. Let Boyd and the rest of the group know. We'll meet in the same place as last time at 5:00 in the afternoon."

The words hit me like a ton of bricks, and I felt the air catch in my throat at the reality of his words. This was happening, we were going through with the plan tomorrow, and there was no turning back.

"Andrea? Hello?"

I came back into reality, "Sorry, yes, I'll let them know."

He was silent on the other end of the phone, as if he knew I was having second thoughts. I heard him exhale heavily on the other end, "Andrea, if everything goes according to plan, nothing bad will happen. I promise."

For a second I had remembered Agent Walker was still considered a bad guy, because he was working for who we were obviously against. Now talking to him and actually realizing he wasn't bad made me aware that not everyone that worked for the F.P.S. was evil, and we could possibly kill innocent people by going in there and messing up.

I sighed, "Thanks Walker. See you tomorrow."

Then I hung up, letting my head fall into my hands as I tried to go through the plan just one more time. I would do it a million times tonight, and a million more times tomorrow. I was a nervous wreck, and because of my stubborn friends I would be a nervous wreck until this whole situation was far behind us. I needed out of here, and that's when I realized I wanted a normal life.

I didn't want to work here like my father, and I didn't want to live here and have a job here. I wanted to go to college and experience the normal kid experience.

And that's what I was going to do after this.

They wouldn't need me after this anyway, at least not until something this catastrophic happened again. I wanted a normal life, because I had never really had one.

The only thing that was preventing me from having one was the whole Healing thing. I needed to age, I wanted to, but I knew that this was going to be the one thing that would stay in the way, because it was irreversible.

What was I going to do? I would never be able to get older, get sick, or even get one gray hair. I was immortal, and knowing that I would be forced to watch everyone die around me really depressed me.

There are plenty of people that claim they want to live forever, but for what? I saw absolutely no reason, because you would have to run and hide, like Blaine had been doing for years. It felt more like a curse than a blessing.

A curse that was incurable.

I had absolutely no control over my future, because I wouldn't be able to do the one thing I had always wanted. I wanted to grow old with someone I loved, and live life the only way I had known. I hadn't asked for this fate, and there was no getting out of it.

I raked my hand through my hair as I stood from my bed, knowing I would need to tell Roger and the rest of the group about Walker. It was time to prepare, and I would drive myself crazy if I just kept sitting here thinking.

I walked slowly down the empty hallway, hoping Roger would be alone in his office. I hadn't seen him or Taylor in a couple of days because I had wanted to stay clear of Taylor, and I risked that if I went to the Office Sector.

But now it was inevitable.

I knew Avery had joined Max and Gage in the Training room since she had wanted to go over some techniques but I was still worried about her. I knew she had claimed to forgive me but I couldn't seem to forgive myself. The guilt was continuing to eat me alive, and I knew I deserved it. I had hurt her, and I deserved to feel like shit no matter what, because I messed up, and I knew that.