Chp. 55 "Confessions"

Avery was lying in my arms, and I whispered softly, "I think you need to see Max and Gage today."

She looked up at me and shrugged, "I'm sure Max hasn't missed me one bit."

I squeezed her slightly, "Avery stop, he's actually been worried sick about you. Every time I see him it's like, 'How's Avery', and 'Is Avery ok? Did they find a cure yet?' He really does care about you."

She smiled slightly, as if not expecting me to say that. She moved up, still a bit weak from the weight loss, "I miss them, I'm not gonna lie. Max is a pain in the ass, but I love him in a weird way."

I smiled to myself, "I know, you two like getting on each other's nerves." I moved out from under her and stood, "I'm gonna go get them, they're probably still sleeping."

She nodded me off as I stepped out into the lab, glancing at the clock on the wall that read 8:20. It really was a bit early, but Max and Gage would be up in a heartbeat knowing Avery was awake and well now.

Last night had really scared me, thinking I was losing Avery in that moment her heart had stopped. Luckily Henson and I had gotten there on time to save her, but what if I hadn't? I tried not thinking about it because it only scared me further, knowing Avery could've died. Losing her would drive me insane, and I was worried about her every single minute of every day.

I was just grateful she was ok now, completely healthy, and I had one less thing to worry about.

I stood there, waiting impatiently for the elevator as I wondered if Max would be mad if I woke him up. I knew how grumpy he could be if I interrupted his "beauty sleep". I knew Gage would want to tag along too but I would let Max wake up, no need possibly pissing off two boys at once.

The elevator opened and to my surprise, Agent Berkley was standing there, arms crossed as she looked down from the elevator floors to my eyes. She smiled warmly, a little more friendly than yesterday, and I stepped into the elevator uneasily. I re-pressed the Living Quarters button and looked up, not wanting to make eye contact with this woman, although it was extremely hard.

"Good morning Andrea, you're up quite early."

Her voice cut through my senses like a knife, and it sent shivers down my spine. I didn't understand why she had such a great effect on me, but I just felt completely compelled by her. I tried keeping myself in check, "Morning Agent Berkley."

She sighed playfully, "I said you could call me Taylor."

I ignored her response as the elevator opened up to the floor I needed, and apparently Taylor had been on her way down here too. She spoke again, "I guess one of the perks of working here is if I forget something at home, I can just take an elevator downstairs to retrieve it."

I stifled an uneasy laugh, not really feeling completely comfortable because I was constantly reminding myself of Avery. I continued walking down the main hall with Taylor right on my side, who seemed to be getting closer and closer to me as we walked.

She spoke, "You ok, Andrea?"

I shivered at the sound of my full name rolling off of her red lips, and her voice continued chilling me. I looked up into her captivating, light brown eye that searched mine for some sort of answer. I nodded, "Yea, I'm fine."

She smiled slightly, "When would you like me to teach you a little something about your new power? You must be excited to test it out."

I swallowed, remembering how I had gained a new power yesterday from this woman, and how every time I would possibly use it I would be reminded of her.