Chp. 8 "Realization"

After the incident Max and I had gotten right back into my car and headed home. It had been complete silence in the car and all the way to Max’s house. We were both extremely freaked out and confused as to how and why my body had healed itself. I didn’t understand what was going on inside my body but I was too confused to try to.

I pulled up in Max’s drive but he didn’t get out, he just sat there looking at me. I shook my head, “I don’t know what’s going on.”

He shook his head, “I don’t know either… I’ve never seen that in my life…”

I shook my head, “That’s the first time I swear that’s ever happened Max…”

He nodded, “I know, you were freaked out just as much as I was. I don’t have an explanation for this…”

I sighed, “Is it possible… to have two superpowers?”

He shrugged, “I don’t know but… I want to see if I can do that too.”

I squinted in confusion, “You want to hurt yourself?”

He dug in his booksack, retrieving a piece of paper and giving it to me, “Hold it and make sure it’s stiff. I’m going to give myself a paper cut.

I was still holding the paper too confused to even hesitate as Max slid his finger swiftly along the edge of the paper. I saw blood begin to ooze out of the tiny cut as he spread the cut wider with his fingers, waiting impatiently to see if it healed.

The blood kept oozing but the cut refused to heal, “Well, I guess I didn’t get lucky like you.”

I looked at him while he sucked the blood off of his finger, making me cringe. I shrugged in confusion, “I really don’t understand…”

He held his hand up, “Come inside, we can look into it.”

I glanced at the clock, realizing it wasn’t that late and nodded, “Ok.”

We headed upstairs into his bedroom as he pulled out his laptop, sighing heavily, “Where do we start?”

“You’re asking the wrong person.”

He leaned forward, typing quickly into Google Search, “Cell regeneration.”

A bunch of results popped up and he scrolled, reading the descriptions as he tried to find a match. There were reports and research, a Wikipedia article, and the definition of it. He ended up clicking on a video demonstration of what the body went through whenever it was wounded.

We watched it in fascination, seeing how the cells had to regenerate the wounded tissue and how it usually took up to a week for a simple paper cut to heal.