Chp. 16 "The Call"

Chp. 16 "The Call"

“Andy, are you sure you want to do this?”

I gazed down at the tiny, crumpled slip of paper that had the number to contact my biological parents. I sighed heavily, knowing I needed to do this, I needed to do this for me. I looked up at Avery and Max who were standing side by side looking at me, “Yes, I want to…”

Avery sighed, knowing I wanted to but asking the ultimate question, “But are you ready to?”

That was the question that always got me. Was I really ready to do this? I knew I needed to, and I knew I wanted to of course… but was I ready to face reality? Was I ready to meet the people that gave me up to friends in hopes to protect me? Was I ready to meet the people that knew what I was capable of? And if so, were they ready to meet me?

What if they were expecting my call?

Avery took my hand in hers, causing my heavy eyes to look into hers. She smiled softly, “You don’t have to if you’re not ready… you still have two weeks till we graduate to think on it.”

I knew she was right, after school would probably be better… but then again it wouldn’t take me an entire summer to find them. I mean I was their kid, they would want me to meet them right?

Then Max chimed in, “But, finding them could help us a lot in finding the Protection Bureau.”

I looked at him and gave him a mean look, “Yea and possibly get kidnapped by the government?”

He shrugged, “Just saying.”

I peered down at the tiny slip of paper again, wondering why I felt so afraid of doing this. I mean what did I have to be afraid of?

I began typing in the number.

Avery stepped towards me, holding my hand for support as Max watched me intently. He was just as anxious as I was, if not more, and Avery was just flat out nervous. I entered the last number, wondering who was going to answer and how I was going to go about introducing myself.

Or what if they didn’t answer?

I hit the call button and held the phone to my ear, hearing the familiar ring of the phone. My thoughts began to run wild as I waited, feeling as if I was calling God himself. And then I heard a soft female voice answer, “Hello?”

And I hit the end button.

Max groaned, “Seriously?”

“I don’t know… I just… I don’t know what to say?”

He huffed and sighed, “Well how about um, hello!”

I stared down at my phone, wondering if I was courageous enough for this. Why this was such a big deal to me? I groaned, hitting the class button one more time and allowing it to ring, waiting for the female voice to answer once more.