Chp. 18 "Last Day"

Chp. 18 "Last Day"

I glanced warily at the clock, knowing our time was running short in my last math class of my senior year. The final had nearly kicked my butt but Avery, Max and I had studied relentlessly for it and I knew I had passed. I ran over my answers one last time as I knew I shouldn’t second guess myself. That was always the worst. I jotted my name at the top of the paper and suddenly I felt as if I was coming to a realization…

High school math was finally over.

I smiled, leaning back in my desk knowing we only had a couple of minutes left till I would be released and never have to look back. I knew tomorrow I would still have to come to school for my science final but I had that in the bag, besides, if I failed I would still pass the class with a B.

The bell rang and I stood, setting my test onto the teacher’s desk and smiling, “See yah!” Then I was out the class, heading towards the parking lot to meet Avery and Max. The entire school would get out after third period because it was finals week and tomorrow we would return for our last two classes.

And my last two finals in High school.

Soon I was stepping foot on the gravel concrete of the parking lot and looking for Max’s towering head over everyone’s, locating him quickly. I saw the familiar petite figure of Avery next to him as they seemed to be arguing, which made me worry.

What the hell could they be fighting about now?

I walked up to them, “Is there a problem?”

Max looked at me then at Avery, seeming to be fed up with something. He whined further, “I want to ride shotgun, I haven’t in over a month Andy, and it’s not fair. My long legs are always cramped in the back and I swear I’m getting arthritis or something! I just want to-“

“Ok! You can ride shotgun, jeez you’re a baby!” Avery interrupted as she looked at me and smiled sarcastically as she made her way around me to get into the back seat.

I looked at Max, squinting as I felt a little bit of annoyance build up. Was he really doing this because he missed riding next to me?

I got into the driver’s seat and Max responded quickly, “Gage is meeting up with us at the den; he claims we need to plan.”

I looked in my rearview, backing out slowly, “Max, we need to study for the Science final.”

He nodded, “Yes, but we also need to plan, graduation is Saturday. Two days away Andy… you do realize that don’t you?”

I nodded, pressing forward, “Yes I just… ok fine. We’ll plan for this weekend.”

I began driving towards the usual spot as I began getting lost inside my thoughts. Max was right, we needed to plan for this weekend because school would end for us tomorrow, and then we would have graduation rehearsal later that day. Then Saturday morning we would have graduation, and then the plan was to leave almost as soon as that.