Chp. 74 "Aftermath"

Chp. 74 “Aftermath”

After Max’s death it was like I had completely lost track of time, as if I was just walking through life without any meaning. It was hard, the day to day routine, but Avery had been a rock for me, which was honestly the only reason I hadn’t completely broken down yet.

Gage had gone back home immediately with Max’s body, and arranged a funeral and such. We had attended it and everything, but leaving my hometown again was hard. Leaving Max’s grave was even harder, as if I was leaving my best friend behind, and I had to keep reminding myself that he was at peace.

I considered him the lucky one, because even though he had died he didn’t have to suffer anymore. I knew he had been depressed ever since his dad died, and in a way I was happy for him, because I knew he was happy now. We were all devastated though, and it felt as if there was an empty void in our hearts every time we thought about Max.

I just really missed him.

It had been weeks since the funeral, and Avery and I had remained at the Bureau longer than we had planned. There were things we needed to get done before actually leaving, and as I walked slowly through the empty hallway at 8:00 in the morning, I realized just how lonely I actually was.

Avery was asleep in our room, and I hadn’t bothered to wake her up because I was only going have coffee with Roger and Henson. We were discussing further matters, and how the F.P.S. was going to handle the death of Pearce. I hadn’t heard of anything traumatic happening since that day, so I took it as a good sign.

I made it to the lobby where there was the usual café as I spotted Henson and Roger on the far end of the shop, waving me over once I was in view. I walked slowly, breathing heavy as the memory of Max resurfaced, and I forced the tears away for another time.

Now was not the time to cry.

I joined them at the table, and I was grateful neither one of them had bothered to ask me how I was; considering they knew everything I had gone through. Roger looked at me, “Andrea, we have good news concerning Avery’s father.”

I folded my hands on the table, remembering how Avery and I had wanted to transfer her father here to work with Henson. Her father was one of the scientists at the F.P.S, and after Pearce was killed the entire staff had been released. We actually visited him days after Max’s death and he explained everything from how Pearce took leadership and since then he had very limited contact with anyone outside the F.P.S. He had been trapped, along with hundreds of other people, and we had freed all of them.

Henson continued, “His contract was just about to end before Pearce was killed, but now they’re releasing everyone early. I ran it by my boss and he’s accepted, Avery’s father will start working here in one month.”

I smiled slightly, knowing Avery was going to have her father back in her life, at least a lot more than what she had. I was happy to hear the good news, and I was excited to tell her, but I couldn’t run off just yet.

I pressed, “That’s great, but what about the F.P.S.? Who’s going to take charge?”