Chp. 7 "Close Call"

Chp. 7 "Close Call"

So I had decided to wait for Max in the library while he finished up his fourth hour. I was sitting on the couch pretending to be working on something when in reality I was thinking of Avery. Her eyes had looked so sad, like she had lost her best friend or something. It pained me seeing her like that but I felt as if it was too soon to attempt and comfort her.

Besides, she told me she didn’t like talking about her family problems.

Hopefully after Max got out of class we would go to our usual spot on the outskirts of our little town and have some fun like he said. We hadn’t been there in a while, which only excited me more just thinking about going again.

It was really like an abandoned junk yard but to Max and I it was our hide out, our secret spot that held so many memories. That’s where we had gone every day for almost a year to practice and master our powers, a place where we could have complete privacy.

And we were finally going back.

Sometimes I forgot what I was capable of, and sometimes I couldn’t help but wonder how I ended up with this power. It was just a weird coincidence to find out I have the exact same power as Max on the first day I met him. The more I thought about it the more it started to not make sense. I mean, everything changed whenever I touched him and that was when it seemed to happen. Before that I could touch my radio without a care and not worry about shorting out my car.

So what happened?

Was it possible that Max gave me his power? Was that even possible?

Then the bell rang and I realized it was time to go back to the parking lot. By the time I made it to the parking lot I saw Max’s head towering over everyone’s as he made his way to my car. His eyes caught mine as he waved to me and I joined him in my car.

He sighed, “So, we’re going back.”

I nodded excitedly, “Yea, we are.”

“I’m actually pretty excited to go back, I missed going there.”

I started my car and agreed with him silently, I was super excited to go back. I hadn’t been able to express myself with my powers lately because I’ve had to suppress them for so long.

The drive there was about fifteen minutes from school if the traffic was absent, and soon enough we were pulling up to the abandoned gate. Max spoke, “I’ll go open it.”

I watched him run out and walk up to the keypad that locked us out, but it had no chance against me and Max. He shocked the keypad, causing the gate to slide open and allow me to drive my car in.

Every time we came here there was never any sign of anything that changed, it was always the same. It was nice to have a place like this; it was like our secret meeting place, our safe haven. We were allowed to be ourselves here, and once Max closed the gate again we would have complete privacy.