Chp. 36 "Goodbyes"

Chp. 36 "Goodbyes"

I had been quite shocked that Avery Ryan, a tiny, 5"4 girl who weighed no more than 125 pounds, could fight the way she had demonstrated earlier today. She had showed us she could block attackers, a possible knife attack, and being face to face with a gun. All of this was previously learned from her older brother Chris years ago before he left for deployment. I was shocked, mostly because I had always viewed Avery as pretty defenseless, but today I realized I had been very wrong.

Even Gage and Max had been caught off guard.

I had known Avery worked out, and that she liked to stay in shape, but for her to be able to cripple Gage, well it was startling. He had demonstrated all kinds of possible attacks and she had gotten herself out of each one perfectly. It was almost scary how good she was.

And the more I watched her fight Gage off the more I remembered how fast she had "caught on" in the self-defense classes. She had clearly been trained way before we had entered those classes, and I cursed myself for not realizing this sooner. It had been right in my face the entire time, and all along she had continuously portrayed a normal, innocent teenager.

It actually kind of made me mad.

I was currently packing my travel bag for tomorrow, knowing that we were leaving at exactly noon. We would make it to the hotel at around 5:30, which gave us an hour and a half to get ready to meet Agent Harris. I was nervous of course, curious as to what exactly we would discuss and how cool or non-cool he would be.

I just didn't know what to expect.

Avery was at her house packing too, and after I spoke with my parents I would head over there and leave my car. Gage and Max would pick us up and we would leave, making our way to South Carolina to complete Phase 1.

I was just waiting for my parents to get home from work.

I took in my room as I sat on my bed, knowing it was possible that I wouldn't be seeing this place for a long time. I wouldn't sleep in my familiar bed or drive my own car, my life was about to change significantly. This wasn't just because I was attempting to save the world from this deadly disease but I was also getting involved with a very confidential agency.

Any normal 18 year old would just look at me like I was crazy if I told them that.

It was weird, I had never in a million years pictured going through everything I had gone through in the last year. Finding out I was adopted, possessing deadly powers, and attempting to save the world from a pandemic. My life had changed significantly already and I was just realizing that now.

Then I heard my mom and dad's voices in the kitchen, and I grabbed my things, knowing I would be leaving after I spoke to them.

They soon came into view, allowing me to catch their gazes that held not only worry, but nervousness. I wasn't going to see them for a long time and knowing that pained me. I would miss them a lot.

I smiled sadly, "Hey."

My mom stayed silent but my dad rested his hand on my shoulder and responded, "Andy..."

I propped my bag on the kitchen table, seeing my mom's eyes searching mine. She wasn't going to tell me I couldn't go, and she wasn't going to protest against my choices, but she was still my mom. She was still protective and nurturing, and to her I was still her little girl.

This realization just only furthered my pain.

I spoke, "I'm fixing to leave, just wanted to make sure there is nothing else I need before I go."