Chp. 24 "Meet the Masons"

Chp. 24 “Meet the Masons”

I sudden knock on the door startled Avery and I awake, causing my eyes to dart to the clock. It read 10:30, and suddenly I felt a jolt in my body. We had kind of overslept, and the last thing I wanted to do was keep my parents waiting.

Today was the big day.

I heard Max’s voice, “Get up you two!”

Avery groaned something unintelligent as we both rolled out of bed, rubbing the sleep from our eyes. She looked at the clock and realized the same thing I had, “You should probably call your parents.”

I nodded, “Lemme brush my teeth first.”

I stumbled over to the sink as I felt the tiredness lift off of my shoulders, allowing me to come to my senses. I began doing the necessary things while I continued to get dressed for the day, rinsing my face with warm water and brushing my teeth.

And before I knew it the nerves were making their way into my stomach.

I was meeting my birth parents today, the people who will most likely have powers like me and had given me up for adoption in order to protect me. What would I say to them? What would they say to me? Was it going to awkward? Or was it going to be absolutely fantastic?

Then Avery’s soft arms wrapped around my waist as she kissed the back of my neck, pulling me out of my dazed state. She whispered, “You ok?”

I looked up into the mirror, gazing into Avery’s hypnotic green-blue eyes while I allowed a wide smile spread over my face. She just had this weird way of making me feel alright, even when everything else was falling upon me. I craned my neck back, kissing her cheek softly as I nodded against her, “Yes, I’m fine… just nervous.”

I watched Avery gaze at me through the mirror, shrugging, “You have every right to be nervous, but trust me Andy, there’s nothing to be nervous about. Everything’s going to be fine.”

Her words were extremely reassuring and I turned to her, drinking in every bit of her while I could in peace. Avery had become a huge part of my life in just a little amount of time, and it scared me but also excited me. I had never had someone like her in my life, and although I had girls come in and out of my life not one of them had measured up to Avery.

I had known Avery just a couple of months but she had already knocked down my barriers and now knows some of my deepest secrets. We were a support system for one another, and I prayed today she would be there for me no matter what the outcome after meeting my parents.

I was infatuated with this girl, completely attached to the amazing feelings she gave me. I would never get sick of her like I had gotten sick of all the other girls, because she was different.”

“I wish I could read your mind.”

I snapped out of my daydream and turned around to entangle her into my arms, “Why’s that?”