Chapter 1

"There goes the bell! Remember to finish your math homework everyone!" the teacher called out. All the kids quickly took their bags and ran out of the classroom to look for their parents.

Billy on the other hand was different compared to the other kids. His parents both worked so he usually goes to school on his own. He didn't seem to mind the fact. He took this as an opportunity to explore the new environment in Los Angeles.

"Come on, guys that's not fair! Give it back!" Billy heard someone scream. He ran towards where the voice came from and saw two boys from another class disturbing a girl from his class. One of them was holding up a pink lunch box. The two boys were bigger than him. That didn't stop Billy however. He took a deep breathe and walked towards them.

"Leave her alone!" he demanded.

"And what are you gonna do about it, shorty? Pinch us to death?" one of the boys said and they both laughed.

He was short for his age. Back in his old school in Florida everyone was treated equally. Sadly it wasn't the same for his new school here in LA.

"Face it shorty, you don't belong here. Just get lost!" the boys shouted. Billy began to clench his fists tightly. Now he just crossed the line. He didn't like being treated that way.

"Didn't you hear what I said? I said get lost!" one of the boys got mad and was about to punch Billy in the face. Billy was quicker. Once the boy's fist was aimed at Billy's face, Billy grabbed it and flipped him over.

"You know, back in Florida I used to learn martial arts" Billy smiled smugly at the boy, whose now on the ground. They were both shocked at his strength and ran away before anything gets worse.

Billy picked up the pink lunch box and walked towards the girl.

"Here, i think this is yours." he said as he handed over the lunch box.

"Thank you!" the girl smiled and gave Billy a hug.

"You're Billy aren't you? From 3rd grade english class? Hi, I'm Kelli!" she smiled as she reached out her hand.

"Yeah. Actually I'm supposed to be in the 4th grade but since I moved here I had to start 3rd grade at 9." Billy explained as she shook her hand. That was one of the few reasons he didn't have much friends. He was older than the other kids in class.

"Well then it's good that you have started 3rd grade. Or we wouldn't have a chance to become best friends!"

***

Billy's POV:

I woke up to that warm ray of sunshine peeking through curtains and touching my face. I stood up, did a bit of stretching and smiled to myself, "Looks like I've been dreaming about you again, Kelli," i thought as I picked up a picture of Kelli and I when we were 12. It was the day I last saw my best friend. I put down the picture, got out of bed and got into the shower. Then i quickly got into my clothes; my favourite red v-neck tshirt, brown bermudas and nike shoes and went downstairs.

I noticed there was a note on the fridge.

Billy

I'm going to be coming home late today. You can go out with your friends for lunch or have some take-out food if you'd like. Money is on the counter. Have a great first day of summer!

Love, Mom

I shrugged and opened the fridge, quickly making my usual breakfast - eggs and bacon. As I ate I thought of what I was going to do today. I'm sure lots have changed ever since the last time I was here.

My family moved here to LA when I was 6. California was the best place to begin an acting career, so i became an actor at the age of 9. At a young age, my acting career has been quite a success. Sadly I had to move back to Florida when I was 12 because my dad had some business to attend to there. Once he was finished with his projects we moved back here because I needed to continue with my acting career. Just my luck, my agent called a few days after I arrived here saying that I should audition for a new show on disneyxd next week.

Once I was finished I quickly cleared the dishes and headed out. Maybe I should explore the place. Keep walking and see where I end up. Not much has changed actually to be honest.

There was this ice-cream parlor where I remember going to when i was a kid. There were a total of 50 flavours and i still have yet to try all of them. I laughed to myself as I continue to walk the familiar path. I kept walking till I found myself in a park. It wasn't just any park. Kelli and I used to play here when we were kids. I made lots of memories here.

As I was strolling along the pathway, i noticed a tall, blonde girl pass me. She was on skates and as she passed me, she turned and called out to someone, "Come on, Kelli hurry up!" Kelli.. Wait a minute. Could it be? I turned around to see another girl. But this one was about to crash into me.

"Watch out!" the girl screamed. By then it was too late. It all happened so fast. The next thing I knew I was on the ground with a girl on top of me. I could feel a slight pain on my shoulder, but it wasn't that serious.

"I am so sorry. Are you okay?" she asked me. I looked up and our eyes met. Those eyes, her long, brown, wavy hair all looked really familiar to me. Then I realised I had been staring at her for quite some time and thankfully she broke the awkward silence.

"I must have bumped into you really bad, huh?" she asked and helped me up.

"Kelli? It's me, Billy." I said too quickly and without thinking. She didn't say anything. She stared at me for awhile. She held her hand on my cheek. The the most random thing happened. She slapped me.

"Ouch! Again with the slapping?" I said out loud. Kelli used to slap or hit me a lot when we were younger. She would always loved to see my reaction.

"Billy? It is you!" she said as she gave me a hug. My best friend, whom I haven't seen in almost more than three years, is now in my arms.