Chapter 25

Billy's POV:

I haven't been doing the things I've always wanted to do these past few days. I've decided to use this day to go dirtbike riding with my friends.

Listening to the sound of my dirtbike purring away is like music to my ears. I whizzed myself away from the starting point. I felt the wind blowng through the side of my helmet.

"You gotta catch up if you want to win!" I yelled to Dylan and Taylor, who were still far behind. We spent hours round the track till dusk.

"That was awesome!" I exclaimed as I took off my helmet. We started packing our gear and made our way back to Taylor's car.

"Only for you. You practically win every single time we're racing!" Dylan started to complain. We got into the car and Taylor ignited the engine and soon we were making our way to our usual buger shack.

***

"Wait wait wait, hold on. You're trying to tell me that you have to date someone else just so you can make the rest of the public happy?" Dylan asked for like the 5th time already. I told them what has been happening these past few weeks. No matter how many times I told them to drop the subject, they just wouldn't listen.

"Yes, Dylan. For the last time, Kelli and I aren't going out anymore. Is that so hard to believe?"

"Of course!" Taylor joined in. "It's you and Kelli we're talking about here."

"So?" I asked. "We're still friends. I'll get over her. It's not like it's the end of the world."

"Besides," I continued, looking down to my knees with disappointment. "She might even fall for this Damon guy. Have you seen the Teen Celeb news lately? They kissed. He's definitely thinking of a way to sweep her off her feet, I just know it."

"Dude, there's really something wrong with you. She kissed him on the cheek. That doesn't mean anything," Taylor wanted to fight back.

"Yeah? Before Kelli and I officially gone out, she kissed me on the cheek too... And.. That moment meant something to me," I muttered to myself.

"She probably just did it for the cameras. I've seen the video footage. If you asked she didn't seem to enjoy it," Dylan said and Taylor began to nod in agreement.

"Look guys, I know you're trying to make it all look as if there is still hope for me. But I just don't see it anymore. Kelli seems to be moving on and I think I should be too. Not everyone deserves a happily ever after.."

Taylor and Dylan went silent for a while. They looked at each other gloomily, knowing that there was nothing else they could do.

"We're sorry bro, we just hate seeing you like this. I mean, we've known you for years and we know how much you loved her. We're really sorry you have to go through all this."

"It's alright. There is no need for you guys to apologise, it's definitely not your fault. Maybe now isn't the time for me. Maybe she isn't the one. I just got to be patient and maybe I'll meet my true other half."

"You're really deep sometimes you know that?" Taylor said sarcastically. I laughed in agreement. "Come on, let's quit all the sappy talk and head home. It's getting late."

***

Taylor parked the car on the curb and I got out, along with my gear and headed back into the house. I dumped them at the corner of my room without a care and went to the bathroom to take a nice, long shower. After that I put on a pair of boxers and flung myself onto the bed.

I took out my phone and turned on my whatsapp. She was online. I wondered if I should talk to her but I think it might be best if I didn't. I exited the app and went to my photo gallery. I looked through all the photos I've taken the past few months, maybe even years, with my phone. What made me stop scrolling was a picture of Kelli and I at her birthday party last year. Kelli and I were so close before. I missed those times where we didn't have to care about what the public would say about us. I missed those times where we can hang out at disneyland with all our friends and just be ourselves. I miss her. A lot.

I've been telling everybody that maybe it's for the best that Kelli and I aren't in a relationship. I tell everyone that it's best to get over her and that it probably would be easy. I told everyone that it wouldn't be a total lost, that she will still be the best friend I've ever had since we were kids. I told everybody that maybe I don't need to love her anymore, and that there are other fish in the sea.

The truth is, it will never be my best desicion to get over her. The truth is, if I lose her, it means that I've lost my everything. The truth is that I don't want any other fish anywhere in the ocean. I want only one fish. The fish that will never leave me. The fish that has always been there for me no matter what and likes me for who I am. And I don't care if this fish doesn't have perfect scales or smells bad, I will still want this fish.

The truth is, I want her. The truth is, I still love her. I still want to be with her. And not just as her best friend, I want to be her once loved Jason. The only difference? I'm the one that's going to stay.

I only realised I had been staring at my phone for quite some time until I felt it vibrate. I exited the gallery and noticed the notification. It was a whatsapp message. I clicked the notification and Kelli's name popped up from the screen. I don't know why, but my heart suddenly began to beat a little faster. This was all she needed to say

Kelli: Hey