003 - Momentum

Song of the Chapter: Stockholm - Hellberg (House)

(Monstercat's POV)

I need to find some sort of civilization soon. I'll need food and water and unless I want to hunt for it myself, which I don't. I only have experience with tracking with technology, not with nature. Since my pod blew itself up, I don't have any shelter, either. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this definitely isn't it.

I think I can hear voices, father away. There's two of them, both arguing, though one sounds like he's joking and the other sounds like he's in pain. They're both coming toward me. I duck into a bush further away from the pod's wreckage and wait.

"I bet a climb like that would make you feel like you were ..." The first voice pauses and giggles in anticipation. "On Top of the World!"

"I'm not even going to try to stop you anymore."

"And it would be an adventure, too. You know what would also be an adventure? Going to ... Belgium!"

There is a sigh. "I quit."

"So you're just going to let it ... Slide?"

"Shut up. What if something's there?"

"Oh. Hmm. Okay."

Neither of them speak after that. The bushes rustle a little, but other than that, the forest is silent except for the burning green flames of the pod. Then two people - humans - poke their heads around a tree and stare at the fire in awe. I dig a little deeper into the bush to hide better, but keep my eyes on them.

One of them is wearing a tattered black jacket, cat-ear headphones, and a black banana with a smiling mouth filled with pointy monster teeth. The other one has a blue hoodie and mischievous eyes. He looks like he wants to blow something up. Neither of them say anything for a few minutes, until the one in the hoodie whispers, "I don't think anyone's there."

The one in the mask comes out from behind the tree and says, "What is this thing?"

I wonder if I should reveal myself or stay in hiding. I wish I knew if they were friendly or not. They could help me.

"I'm not sure. I've never seen anything but fireworks this color." The hoodie guy circles the wreckage and then pokes at it with a stick. The look on his face makes me think he's a total pyromaniac. "I'd say this needs a ... Technician."

"That one didn't even make sense," the other complains.

"Whatever."

I lean back on my paw and a branch snaps. I flinch and wince. Whoops.

The two guys look up and fall silent. They survey the scene again, this time with practiced and suspicious eyes. Their looks give me the shivers.

"Come on," the one in black finally says. "We need to tell the others about this."

The others? There's more? They turn and leave and I make a spit second decision to follow them. At first, they are almost silent and somehow never step on anything, so I have to take extra care. Eventually, the one in the blue starts talking again and I can move a little quicker. He's really loud.

Finally, we reach some sort of campsite. Tents circle a fire pit, but there aren't many people there. It's pretty dark, so I assume they're asleep. A few are sitting around the fire, where the two guys went.

"GUESS WHAT WE FOUND," Blue Hoodie says.

"Shh!" half of the others hiss at him.

"Shut up, Noisestorm. You'll wake up Hellberg," a guy with a red painted face says. "You know he has insomnia. He needs whatever sleep he can get."