010 - Upgrade

Song of the Chapter: Final Boss - Nitro Fun (Electro)

(Tristam's POV)

We get back to the hotel at about six in the evening. We dump our vegetables in the mini fridge and Eveelyn returns to the girls' room without so much as a glance at the rest of us. She was uncomfortably quiet throughout the entire trip. Whatever it is, it's none of my business.

However, I do want to leave again. I need some fresh air by myself. I'm feeling nervous, anxious, and walking around by myself always helps. I privately tell Stephen Walking where I'm going, and I'm about to leave when the door bursts open, probably kicked down.

"GUESS WHAT." Noisestorm practically shoves me out of the way and I crash and fall into the little bathroom. "SO WE WENT FIREWORK SHOPPING, RIGHT, AND I STARTING FILLING OUR CART AND THEY SAID I COULDN'T BUY THEM BECAUSE I DIDN'T HAVE IDENTIFICATION AND SO - "

"He got us kicked out of Wal-Mart," Phantom cuts him off and pushes him over on top of me. "And also, now he's stuck here, because he started yelling and they caught his voice on the security."

"You've got to be kidding me," Stephen groans. "Your first day and you've already gotten kicked out of Wal-Mart and added to the security."

I know that as the unofficial leader and organizer of this mess, I should take care of this problem and figure out what to do, but all of my mind is occupied with one thought: he could still be here. I need to clear my mind before I make any important decisions.

"Please tell me you still got them," Stephen says as I slip out of the room.

"Don't worry," I can hear Phantom answer. "I took care of it and we've got them in the other room."

I'm out of earshot by then and move quickly down the stairs and out into the cool air of the city. I have no idea how I'm going to find him, but I have to try. He's my best friend, and I know that anything could happen with his emotional instability.

I walk fast, my eyes scanning the streets, looking for something, anything, to help me find him.

Someone taps my shoulder and says, "Excuse me, sir?" I turn around and barely have time to notice the guy before he suddenly cries, "Leo!" and shoves himself onto me. His face is buried in my chest and coat and his arms, weak as they are, are gripping me tightly, unwilling to let go. He's sobbing, too, and through his choking gasps, I can hear him whispering, "I knew you'd find me. I knew you'd find me."

I immediately recognize him. "Braken!" I grab him back, holding him tight. "I've been looking for you for a long time. I can hardly believe it!"

People are giving us strange looks, but neither of us care. We're too happy to have found each other. We were separated when the MI broke the label meeting, and I had been more worried than I knew was possible. Now I've found him.

"We have to go back to the others at the hotel," I say after a moment.

"Hotel?" He looks up at me with his deep blue eyes. "There's more?"

"We've been gathering the others up and we're at a hotel for a while. We're planning a rebellion. Come on."

As we walk back, taking our time, I ask him about how he'd been doing, all while studying him to make sure he's physically as well as he can be. He's thin and pale, and I realize that it's because he's been living on the streets, taking that over going back to his father. I don't blame him. I tell him a little about the camp in the forest, but there's not much to tell.

Our conversation is cut short by the sound of sirens, speeding past us. Without thinking, I pull Braken into an alleyway, just in case.

The MI are on the hunt.