079 - Preparation

Song of the Chapter: My Galaxy - Eminence & Markus Cole ft. Q'AILA (Trap)
End is Near (Fire in the Hole VIP) - Pegboard Nerds (Drumstep)

Guys ... the End is Near.

(Evee's POV)

The trees are beautiful. The sunlight flickers through the leaves and washes the forest in soft green light, illuminating the sparkling dew drops on the spider webs and wild flowers. The river gurgles, playful and dangerous, leading us home. Birds sing and chirp, fluttering between branches and taking to the sky, flying far, far away, seemingly oblivious to our situation and the feelings of dread we each hold in our hearts.

Why am I being so descriptive? Because I'm begging everything to take my mind off of the invasion.

I'm going to lose him. That's the only thought in my troubled mind. I'm terrified that I'll lose him, whether it be by capture or death. This is why I was so afraid of love, so afraid to admit I let someone into my heart as deep as I let Joel. Jensen knows this, of course. He knows I'm extremely vulnerable anyway, and now he knows that my feelings for Joel go both ways. I know that he'd rather break as many individuals as he can than focus on the entire group. With his tactics and knowledge, it doesn't usually take that long to get through enough to destroy us.

I've shared this with the other artists and producers, but no one is as worried as Joel and I. I don't understand. They don't seem to care how horrific this can get in only a few minutes. They don't even know that it's not about music. It was never about music when it came to Jensen. He always hated it, any kind of music, EDM especially, but he's after one thing. I'm not sure what that one thing is, but I know Jensen well enough to know that he will stop at nothing to get what he wants, no matter how many lives he has to destroy. He's crazy. Totally insane, whether it's been diagnosed or not. The problem is that he doesn't seem crazy at first. He just seems frighteningly smart. But he is. Every time I looked into his eyes as a child, I saw something there that everyone else tried to ignore. I saw that same spark of insanity when Joel, Nitro, and I met him a few days ago, only this time, it was much brighter and filled with taunting rage. I know Tristam has seen it, from the way he talked about him and the way he acted when he was first rescued, but he's not here to describe it again. I'm sure Aero has seen it, though he won't talk to anyone about it. Now that I think about it, he never did. He never told anyone about his experience with Jensen.

For the first hour of our march through the forest, Aero stayed in the middle, with Au5, to make sure he was okay, but now he's scouting up ahead, leading us. It's been so long since that first protest, Au5 can almost run again. Of course, it still brings the mysterious producer pain, but he never moved above a quick walk before, so he's almost completely healed, by some miracle. He must be some superhuman or something.

Speaking of superhumans ...

Before Phantom got caught, the day we messed around with flirting, he looked at me like a little boy again, and something seemed almost familiar in his eyes. I've never seen eyes quite like his before, the brightness and the beautiful color, and I think I'd remember seeing someone like him before. A couple days ago, I had a realization moment.

I have seen him before, a long time ago. We were about eleven, and I was at a family party with my entire extended family, including Jensen. We were all at my grandparents' house when a mysterious family of three knocked on the door, asking for Matthew Jensen. Curious, I followed him to the door and watched as he let the family in. A mother, a father, and an eleven year old boy with brilliant sea green eyes. I remember he had a little black rope bracelet on his skinny right wrist, and that he had hair the color of honey sunshine. I remember this because as soon as I saw him, I determined I had a crush on him.