III

Months went by at number 3 Privet Drive.

When I would turn out the lights and go to bed, I would read the fancy written letter. Over and over...

Time couldn't have moved any slower for me.

But now it was August 29th. The day had finally come.

It was around supper time and I just got done washing my hands in the kitchen. Barry was at the table reading the paper, and Helen was watching the television. Mary's footsteps were heard stomping down the steps.

"Mummy! Daddy!" She hollered, furiously storming in.

Barry dropped the paper and Helen turned the television off.

"Yes, what is it princess?" Helen asked, rushing over to her daughter's side.

"I'm hungry!" Mary wined.

"Yes sweetheart, Abram is just about to cook for us. Girl!" Barry said with the snap of the fingers as he pointed to me.

I nodded and obeyed, gathering pots and pans.

"NO! I want to go out!" Mary stomped her foot, making her blonde curls bounce.

"Alright alright, where is it you'd like to go?" Barry asked.

Mary tapped her chin and looked up.

"That one ice cream shop daddy took me to last month." Mary said.

Helen gave Barry a look, but Barry nodded.

"I'll take her. You stay here and watch the girl, Helen." Barry said as he slipped into his penny loafers and put his cap on.

Mary beamed her red and shiny cheeks and walked out the door with Barry.

I put the pots and pans back and stood in the kitchen, not knowing what to do.

"Girl." Helen coldly said.

"Yes, aunt Helen?"

"Come here." Helen said, as she sat on the sofa in the living room.

I scrunched my eyebrows and walked into the living room.

"Sit." Helen said, pointing to the chair against the wall.

Slowly sitting down, I was staring curiously at Helen who was sitting up properly and her lips formed a thin red line.

"I'm sorry for anything I-"

"You're not in trouble." Helen quietly said.

I slowly dropped my shoulders and nodded.

"I wanted to talk to you." Helen said.

"A-about?"

"Your mother and father."

Being honest, my heart dropped. Tremendously. I never knew my parents and whenever I asked or mentioned it, the subject was always changed.

"Your mother was named Bonnie...and she was my sister," Helen said softly, "and she was married to your father. Benjamin." Helen said, quickly glancing at me then quickly looking away.

I watched aunt Helen. All I kept wondering was why was she telling me this? I never knew...

"Bonnie was my only sibling....she was younger than me, but I still loved her. Then she married that...that...that Benjamin," Helen spat, "and it was like I no longer had a sister. She treated me like a neighbor or something. Or...or a stranger." Helen said,
"Then they brought you here," Helen added as she slowly turned her head to me, "and ever since then, Barry and I despised you.." She coldly said.