Unrequited

Set in the future.

She was a goddess in the flesh and he was...well, Chestnaught.
Her fiery-colored fur glowed like the last embers of a dying fire. When she walked, everyone's heads turned her way. When she spoke, all were quiet to listen. Her voice was low and melodic, soft and strong. She had a comforting presence about her that could soothe anyone. And her eyes...her eyes were what enchanted him the most. They could glow with warmth or burn with rage. If you wanted to know how she felt, looking into her eyes would give you all the answers you needed. He longed for her to be his, but that would never happen. Delphox was perfect and he was...well, not. He could come off as irritating and overeager to many, which had cost him potential friendships. It wasn't like he tried to be annoying; it was just how he was. He could no more change that than force the sun not to rise. Of course, Delphox was his friend and had been for a while now, but he wasn't stupid enough to think that she'd ever feel the same way about him that he felt about her. Especially not when she had her sights set on that blasted freak-fusing Greninja. Chestnaught felt a little bad about his anger towards Greninja; it wasn't his fault that Delphox preferred him. But then he pictured the longing on her face every time she looked at him and how he would have done anything for her to look at him like that, and all his guilt vanished instantly.
"Chestnaught?"
There she was. The fiery fox. The love of his life. She stood in front of him, a concerned frown on her face.
"What are you doing out here?" she asked. "You must be hungry; you missed lunch. Serena made Pokepuffs."
Chestnaught brightened at that. Pokepuffs were his favorite, and Serena made the best for sure. "All right, I'll be there. Or, er-are there any left?"
Delphox let out a laugh. "Of course, I saved one for you," she said, handing him a pink Pokepuff with a strawberry on top.
"Thanks, Delphox," he said, making sure not to talk with his mouth full.
"You're welcome," Delphox replied. She sighed a little, and Chestnaught didn't have to ask to know what was on her mind.
"How's Greninja?" he asked, unable to keep a note of bitterness out of his tone.
"I'm sure he's fine," Delphox replied, frowning at his tone. "And why are you so unhappy with him lately? He hasn't done anything wrong."
Nothing wrong, except that he stole the love of my life from me, Chestnaught thought bitterly. All right, I suppose he didn't ACTUALLY steal her, but still. Why does she like him more than me?
"It's nothing, really," he lied. "Just a lot on my mind, I guess." Well, that wasn't exactly a lie. He did have a lot on his mind...and by a lot, he meant her. But there was no way he could tell her that.
Delphox didn't seem entirely convinced, but she let the matter drop. "I do wish Greninja would take more notice of me," she admitted, blushing a little as she said this. "He's the most wonderful Pokemon I've ever met, but he can be so...dense. I have no idea how to make him realize I like him."
Chestnaught felt a wave of bile rise up in his throat. "Well," he managed to spit out, "I suppose you could just go up to him and ask him out. Whether or not he says yes I don't know, but at least you'll have let him know how you feel."
Delphox looked at him in surprise. "Now, why didn't I think of that before?" she asked, turning around and running off to find Greninja. "Thanks, Chestnaught," she called over her shoulder.
Chestnaught watched as Delphox ran up to Greninja, taking the water-type by surprise. She said something inaudibly to him and he looked surprised for a moment before he slipped an arm around her and pulled her protectively against him. Chestnaught clenched his fists in anger as Delphox leaned her head against Greninja's shoulder, laughing softly at something he'd said.
You're going to pay, Greninja. You're going to pay.