Evolution

One day, Chespin, Braixen, and Greninja were all sitting in a field watching the other Pokemon play when the topic of discussion turned towards evolution.
"You know, both of you have evolved. What's taking me so long?" Chespin complained. "I know I'm close to evolving, but it won't happen. Come on, you have to tell me. What's the secret?"
"I don't know," Braixen admitted. "I evolved because Serena needed me in a battle. But I don't know what the key to evolution is."
"What about you, Greninja?" Chespin asked, turning towards the frog-ninja Pokemon. "You've evolved twice. Surely you must know something."
Greninja scratched his head. "I really don't," he said apologetically. "Both times I evolved when I wanted to protect my friends, but Talonflame evolved when he was set on fire. And Noivern evolved trying to save Hawlucha, but I'm not sure what the secret is."
"Hmm...so if Talonflame evolved after being set on fire, does that mean the key to evolution is getting a taste of your own medicine?" Chespin pondered. "I'd test that theory, but we don't really have any other grass-types on the team."
"I'm not sure that's it, though. When Greninja evolved it wasn't because someone blasted him with Water Gun," Braixen pointed out.
"That's true," Chespin agreed. Suddenly, Greninja's eyes lit up.
"I have an idea. Maybe all you have to do is do what you do best-eating," he suggested.
"Eating? Why eating?" the grass-type starter asked, confused.
"Well I'm not sure if you've noticed, but your evolution is pretty fat," Greninja replied.
Greninja has been missing since Friday.