The Black Dragon Falls

I've always wondered what would happen if a league final ended in a draw. This is my take on what I think would happen. This is for Meloetta_AshGreninja pokemonlover174 and Charkid467 .

Ash Ketchum stood on the field, a Pokeball clutched tightly in his hand, ready to face off against Alain one last time for the title of Kalos league champion. During the finals of the Kalos league, their match had ended in a draw when Alain's Charizard fainted at the same time as Ash's Greninja. Since the official league rules stated that each tournament must have a clear winner, President Goodshow had announced that there would be a one-on-one tiebreaker to determine who it would be.

Ash smirked to himself, knowing that he would be starting off with the advantage due to having the element of surprise in this match. The raven-haired teen was well aware that Alain was expecting him to use Greninja, as that had been the case in all of their previous matchups. However, this time Ash had decided against using his powerhouse water-type in favor of a certain old friend of his.

"This will be a one on one match. The battle will end when either trainer's Pokemon is unable to continue. No substitutions will be permitted," the referee announced. "Trainers, please call out your Pokemon."

"Come out, Charizard!" Alain commanded, releasing the fire and flying-type from his Pokeball.

The formidable fire-breathing lizard appeared on the battlefield, letting out a loud roar. Ash felt his hair blow back ever so slightly as Alain's Charizard landed on the field in front of his trainer. Whispers of awe erupted from the crowd at the sight of the powerful fire-type; however, Ash just smirked. He knew that the Pokemon he had brought with him would put Alain's to shame.

"I choose you, Charizard!" he shouted, tossing out his Pokeball.

Ash's Charizard's entrance put Alain's Charizard's to shame. He emitted a roar that quite literally blasted Clemont's Chespin right out of the stands, and when he landed, the entire stadium shook as though Charizard had just used Earthquake. The Kanto fire lizard had a cocky, yet indifferent look on his face that Ash was sure Hawlucha would be proud of.

Alain, along with most of the crowd, stared at Ash's Charizard in slight fear, and Ash could see why. His Charizard was easily a foot taller than Alain's, and his tail flame made the mega-evolving lizard's look like little more than a candle flame.

"Uh...b-battle begin," the ref stuttered nervously.

"Charizard, we'll need to get serious right from the start! Respond to my heart, now key stone, beyond evolution, mega evolve!" Alain shouted, using his trademark command as his Charizard's body was encased by a nearly blinding white light.

Ash and his own Charizard looked on, shielding their eyes as the transformation took place. Even now, the raven-haired teen could literally feel Charizard's burning desire to have the same ability that this enemy Charizard in front of him currently possessed. He almost shivered at the thought. Knowing what Charizard was capable of now, he could only imagine how much that power would increase when he got a mega stone.

Once the transformation was complete, Ash and Charizard found themselves faced with a familiar (at least to Ash) black dragon with blue flames emitting from his jaws. Mega Charizard gave Ash's Charizard a smirk. Charizard, however, just yawned pointedly. This angered the black dragon, who let out a roar to show his displeasure.

"Charizard, use Flamethrower!" Alain ordered.

"Dodge and then use Dragon Tail!" Ash countered.

Charizard flew out of the way of the jet of blue flames before speeding in towards Mega Charizard, his tail glowing green as he struck his opponent across the face. Due to gaining dragon-type characteristics with mega evolution, Mega Charizard took a considerable amount of damage from the attack. It wasn't quite enough to knock him out, but he was noticeably shakier once he managed to recover.

"Charizard, shake it off and use Thunder Punch!" Alain called out.

This time, Mega Charizard managed to land a hit. However, the supposedly super effective attack barely seemed to tickle Charizard. He simply yawned and brushed a little dust off his chest, trying not to laugh at the stunned look on Mega Charizard's face.

"You need to do better than that! Charizard, use Inferno!" Ash commanded.

Mega Charizard roared in pain as his body was engulfed by an intense fire. When the flames finally died away, he was breathing heavily, clearly on his last legs. Had it not been for the fact that fire-type moves were nearly ineffective against Mega Charizard X, Ash was sure that he would have fainted.

"Are you all right?" Alain asked in concern. Mega Charizard gave a weak grunt of acknowledgement. "All right, then use Blast Burn!"

The crowd let out a gasp. From Alain's performance in the league, as well as throughout his journey, most of them were aware that he only ever ordered his Charizard to use Blast Burn in times of absolute desperation. Things couldn't be going that far south this quickly, could they?

Oh, yes they could.

And it was only going to get worse-for Alain, that is.

At the last second, Charizard flew out of the way of the fiery explosion. Alain's eyes widened in horror, knowing that he had just blown any chance he might have had at staging a comeback. Due to Blast Burn's side effects, Mega Charizard was now completely immobile. Whatever Ash chose to deal out next, there would be no escaping from it.

"All right, Charizard! Finish it off with Earthquake!" Ash shouted.

Charizard let out a roar as he slammed both feet into the ground, causing an even higher spike in seismic activity than when he had entered the arena. The powerful ground-type move, which would normally be ineffective, now did double damage to Mega Charizard X. He was out cold almost as soon as the attack hit.

"Charizard!" Alain exclaimed.

"Alain's Charizard is unable to battle! Ash's Charizard is the winner!" the ref announced. "So that means the victory goes to Ash of Pallet Town!"

Now, this would normally be the part where Ash celebrated his victory with his friends and Pokemon. But this time, he was in too much shock to do much of anything. Everything he wanted to say was right on the tip of his tongue, but nothing would come out. After six years, he had finally achieved his dream. It almost didn't feel real.

And then Ash Ketchum, newly crowned victor of the Kalos league, fainted.

Charizard looked down at his trainer's unconscious body. Crap.

Just so everyone's aware, Charizard actually can learn Earthquake via TM.