Death, Part 3: Moving On

For the next three months following the reception of the mysterious gift on Christmas, Serena and the others became acutely aware of a strange, yet somehow familiar presence around them wherever they went. She liked having it around, but didn't at the same time. It had a soothing feel to it, but something about it seemed sad.
One day, Serena went upstairs to her room and was met with the shock of her life. There, sitting on her bed, was none other than Ash Ketchum.
"Ash?" she whispered, for some reason unable to scream.
"You can see me," Ash replied. It was not a question, but she nodded anyway.
"Are-are you real?" Serena asked.
Ash chuckled a bit. "I don't know, am I? I certainly feel real. Then again, I'm a ghost so I'm not sure if I can really feel anything."
Serena stared at her dead love. "Why....why are you here?" she asked finally.
"Ah...good question," Ash said. "I'm here because I'm stuck, essentially. I can't move on to the next life until you, Clemont, Bonnie, Pikachu, Greninja, and all my other Pokemon move on from my death."
"We have. Or, we're trying," Serena protested.
"No, you haven't!" Ash shouted, and for the first time he looked angry. "You haven't tried at all! You've all just given up! On yourselves, on everything! Clemont gave up on running his gym. Bonnie gave up on her journey, and she always wanted to go on a journey of her own so she could meet new Pokemon! None of my Pokemon have battled since I died, and they love battling! And you...you've given up on performing. What happened to your dream? It's like it doesn't matter to you anymore."
"It changed!" Serena cried. "It changed when you died. Now my dream is to help make advancements in the medical world so no one suffers the way you did!"
"But you only chose to follow that path because you're letting your life revolve around my death. You all are," Ash countered, more softly this time. "I'm sorry, Serena. I wish I could be there with you, I really do. But you have to learn to let me go."
Serena knew he was right. The sadness hanging in the air for the past three months could only have one explanation. Ash wanted to move on to the next world, but couldn't because they were holding him back. For his sake though, she would learn to get on with her life the way it was meant to go.
"Can't you stay a bit longer?" she asked, unable to stop herself. She knew he had to go, but a part of her wanted him to stay, even if it was just as a mere imprint of life.
Ash sighed sadly. "I can't, Serena. I have to go where I belong. Because I don't belong in this world anymore, and you know that as well as I do."
"I know," Serena admitted quietly. "So...I guess this is it, then."
To her surprise, Ash shook his head. "No. This isn't it forever," he corrected her. "We will see each other again someday. And when that day comes, we'll have the rest of eternity to spend together. Just be patient."
Serena laughed. "When did you become so wise?"
"I don't know, I guess it comes with being dead," Ash answered, the familiar grin on his face. Then his expression turned serious again. "Before I go, Serena, I want to ask a favor of you. Tell the others....well, just tell them that I said I'll see them again someday too. And tell them that I'm proud of all of you."
"I'll let them know," Serena promised.
Ash nodded and turned towards her bedroom door. "Well, I have to go now," he said softly. "Goodbye, Serena. Until we meet again?"
"Until we meet again," Serena agreed, smiling slightly.
Ash smiled back at her and turned, disappearing through the door. As soon as he left, Serena felt something in the air change. She knew instantly that Ash was gone-for good this time. But it was okay. As he'd said, they would see each other again. And she would wait as long as it took for that day to come. After all, when had Ash ever broken a promise?