The Green-Eyed Monster

I knew that jealousy was one of the ugliest emotions anyone could experience. I'd seen it turn some of my friends into horrible, evil green-eyed monsters. A prime example would be my trainer, Serena, when she went on a rant about red hair.
Yes, red hair! It turned out-after she'd finally calmed down-that Ash had been talking about a girl he knew from his time in the Kanto and Johto regions named Misty Waterflower. Misty had short red hair, while Serena had honey-blond curls. I think the rant went something along the lines of, "You know, it's only because she has red hair. I'll bet it doesn't even look that pretty on her either. Maybe he's not all that great...no, no, of course he is. But honestly! Red hair!"
See what I mean? Just the mere thought of Misty turned Serena into a catty, raging nimrod. And the funniest part is that Ash never said anything about being in a relationship with Misty. Serena just assumed the worst. She didn't even have anything to worry about though, since she'd already captured his heart-that is, if the rumors spread around by Ash's Pokemon were anything to go by.
Anyway, I never thought I'd experience the same irrational behavior. Even though I'd never actually felt real jealousy before, I'd always thought of myself as a first-class jealousy Pokemon.
Oh, how wrong I was.
It all started when I began to develop feelings for Greninja. From there, they grew stronger until I found myself completely and unapologetically in love with him. But since I didn't know how he felt about me, I was too nervous to tell him how I felt. This meant I had to watch him talk to the other female Pokemon (which thankfully there weren't many of), but I promised myself that I wouldn't allow myself to treat my female companions poorly just because they talked to Greninja, or smiled at him, or whatever. And for a while, I was doing just fine.
That is, until Milotic showed up.
One day, we were all enjoying a day on the beach. For once, everyone wasn't busy training for one thing or another, so we decided to take advantage of the nice weather. Hawlucha and Talonflame were having a flying race with Noibat (which seemed kind of unfair to me, since Hawlucha technically can't actually fly, although Noibat was still pretty inexperienced and Talonflame was slower than Hawlucha, so I suppose it all evened out in the end). Pancham was arguing with Chespin about which way the wind blows, Pikachu and Greninja were taking turns splashing water at Ash (actually, Pikachu was splashing Ash while Greninja seemed to be doing his best to push him into the ocean), and Sylveon was sitting with Bunnelby and watching Pikachu out of the corner of her eye. As for me, I was practicing some dance moves while secretly hoping that Greninja would notice. Just as I was going through my routine for the fifth time, a girl and her Milotic happened to approach our group. The girl started talking with Serena and Ash, while Milotic began flirting, rather obviously, with Greninja.
"Aw, look. I think Milotic likes your Greninja," the new girl cooed.
"Uh, yeah. I guess," Ash said distractedly, not really paying attention.
I felt my fists curl in anger. Here I was doing everything I could to get Greninja's attention, and Milotic shows up and just shoves herself on him? Enough was enough. I was going to put a stop to this, one way or another.
"Hey, Milotic!" I called, trying to make my voice sound as friendly as possible. Milotic turned and smiled at me.
"Hey. Nice to meet you," she called back. To my secret delight, she abandoned Greninja and walked over to me. "What's up?"
"I'm Braixen. I just thought it would be nice to get to know you a bit," I lied smoothly.
Milotic nodded, obviously suspecting nothing of my true intentions. "You know, Greninja's pretty cool, isn't he?" she remarked, blushing.
Ah. So we had finally arrived on the matter at hand.
"Yeah, he is," I agreed.
"Do you think he might like me?" Milotic asked. "I mean, we are both water-types."
"I don't know. He doesn't really know you, does he?" I pointed out.
"We could get to know each other, though," Milotic argued back.
"But I've known him ever since we were a Froakie and Fennekin at Professor Sycamore's lab," I replied triumphantly.
Milotic just snorted. "Please. You two aren't even in the same egg group," she scoffed.
"So what? Just because we can't breed doesn't mean we can't be together. Besides, you're not even traveling with us so how is it supposed to work out between you two anyway?" I countered.
Ugh. See what I mean when I said jealousy completely messes with your brain? I was determined to win. Win what? The "Who Deserves To Be With Greninja More" contest?
"This is stupid," I huffed. "He probably doesn't like either of us anyway."
"Who doesn't like either of you?"
Milotic and I cringed as Pikachu and Hawlucha joined us. Let me tell you, nothing is more embarrassing than when you're arguing with another girl over the guy you like and his friends decide to show up.
"No one," Milotic lied quickly.
"Is this about Greninja?" Pikachu guessed wisely. Great, just great. Did he know that I liked...well, loved....his teammate? "I saw you talking to him earlier, Milotic."
"What about me?"
You know what, I have to correct myself. Nothing is more embarrassing than when you're arguing with another girl over the guy you like and his friends decide to show up, except when the guy in question himself shows up as well.
"Greninja!" Hawlucha spun around to face his main tag battle partner. "There's something Pikachu and I have to tell you."
"No!" I yelled, knocking Hawlucha over with my branch.
"Braixen, what's wrong?" Greninja asked, sounding worried. He was worried about me. How sweet is that?
Ugh. I really need some help. And I don't mean the kind and caring type either.
"You-you can't tell him," I pleaded. "You can't tell him about what Milotic and I were talking about."
Shoot. Had I said too much? Greninja was looking between me and Hawlucha curiously. Milotic looked just as embarrassed as I felt, and Pikachu was grinning.
"Actually, Braixen," the yellow electric mouse stated. "Hawlucha was just going to tell Greninja that Noibat managed to beat Talonflame in their race."
"Really? Oh, that's cool," Greninja said.
I gave a sigh of relief. Crisis averted-so far. There was still one big problem at hand though, and that was that I was still in danger of never having the opportunity to tell Greninja that I liked him, since Milotic was right that it would make more sense for her to be with him from a breeding standpoint.
"Greninja, can I talk to you in private for a moment?" I asked. I wasn't going to let this opportunity slip away, but that didn't mean I wanted to confess in front of all our friends either.
"Sure, Braixen," he agreed. He turned to the others and added, "I'll see you all in a minute."
Pikachu and Hawlucha nodded and went off to join Talonflame and Noibat. Milotic glared at me before going after them as well. To my relief, Greninja didn't seem to notice anything.
"So what did you want to talk to me about, Braixen?" he asked.
I took a deep breath. Just go for it, I told myself. It was the perfect time. We were alone, no one was coming to interrupt us, and the sunset reflecting on the ocean water gave it the perfect mood. All I had to do was spit it out.
"Well, t-there's something I have to tell you," I stuttered. "I-uh, do you like Milotic?"
"What? Um...she's not too bad," Greninja answered. "Why?"
"Um...well, it's just that I-I love you," I blurted out. I cringed at how blunt that sounded. "I'm sorry, if it's too much of a shock. I'll just-I'll just be going now." 
But before I could make my escape, Greninja grabbed my paw and held me back.
He didn't even have to tell me how he felt.
You know, maybe a little jealousy isn't so bad after all.