A Rant About Serena Haters

It seems that a lot of Pokemon fans I've seen on the internet have some sort of violent hatred for Serena, and I really don't understand it. What's so bad about her anyway-or what's worse about her than any of Ash's other female companions. To start this, let's look at some of the reasons these people have for hating Serena.

1. She only went on her journey to find Ash. She didn't even know what her dream was.

First of all, how is this a problem? She's a teenager, a KID. Not everyone knows what they want to do with their life at that age. Second of all, Misty and May only went with Ash because their bikes got destroyed. How is that any better of a reason? And Iris only followed Ash because he threw a Pokeball at her. So you're going to have to think of a better argument than that.

2. She's openly rude and defiant to her mother.

Again, she's a TEENAGER. I'm not excusing her behavior because disrespecting your parents is always wrong, but most teenagers act that way. The day you become a perfect little angel who never talks back, let me know. 

3. She only cares about her looks.

If you think back to Diamond and Pearl, Dawn was always freaking out about her hair.

4. She's overrated.

With the amount of hate she gets, I don't think it's possible for her to be overrated. But for the sake of the argument, let me just point out that Max seems to be a more popular character than Serena, even though he was nothing but a pathetic waste of screen time.

5. Her crush on Ash is stupid.

All right, you're not fooling anyone. We all know you're just salty that your ship isn't sailing-at least not yet, considering we don't know if Ash will ever have a girlfriend. Probably not, considering that he leaves all his friends behind after each journey and never contacts them again. But who knows, maybe it will be different with Serena.
Anyway, what's so stupid about her crush on Ash? It's not as though she's acting any differently than any normal girl with a crush. Besides, at least she mostly keeps it to herself and doesn't hang herself all over him like that girl with the Vulpix (I forget her name).

The bottom line is, Serena's probably the best thing that ever happened to Ash. I'd take her over any of Ash's other female companions any day. She was nice to him from the start, unlike Misty, she actually worked to achieve her dream, unlike Iris (seriously TWO dragon-types on her whole team and she wants to be a dragon master?), and she didn't waste his time by forcing him to help her with her training or making him teach her how to do some pretty basic Pokemon trainer stuff, unlike Dawn and May (by the way, I'm not letting you off the hook either Brock; you could have taught Dawn how to catch Pokemon). But hey, if you prefer obnoxious, whiny princesses, then suit yourself.