The Dance (Sawyer x Shauna)

Requested by @jayfirel13

Sawyer stood next to Ash and Clemont as their friends, Serena and Shauna, danced with their Pokemon on the makeshift stage Professor Sycamore had provided for them. For once, however, his mind wasn't on Ash's Greninja or how he could perfect his strategy in order to beat his rival next time. Instead, his attention was fixated on the brown-haired pigtailed girl, who was currently commanding her Ivysaur to use Vine Whip.

Shauna flashed a smile towards the crowd, and Sawyer felt his heart jump. He flushed slightly and looked down, hoping no one would notice his embarrassment. Why did this happen whenever he looked at Shauna? It had never happened when he looked at Serena or any of the other girls he'd met during his journey. He would have asked Ash for advice, but somehow he didn't think the raven-haired teen would be of much use in this situation. Ash might have been one of the best trainers he'd ever known, but if he couldn't even see how Serena felt about him when it was right in front of his nose, Sawyer doubted he would understand much of his situation with Shauna.

"Hey Sawyer, are you all right?"

Startled, Sawyer jerked his head up to see Ash looking at him with a concerned expression in his eyes. Slowly, he realized that the main performance had ended and everyone in the audience was dancing with each other now.

"Oh-yeah sorry, just spaced out a little," he said quickly, laughing to cover up his embarrassment.

"Ah, well, as long as everything's okay," Ash said cluelessly. "Anyway, I guess I might as well join in-even though I dance like an Ursaring with two left feet, and that's probably putting things lightly..."

Sawyer laughed and waved as Ash went off to hang with Greninja, who was chatting with Braixen and Hawlucha. A few moments later, Serena approached the raven-haired boy and tapped him on the shoulder. She said something to him and Ash nodded, taking her by the hand and beginning a slightly awkward slow dance with her.

Well, maybe he's not so hopeless after all, Sawyer thought to himself.

He was about to join in the dance himself when he felt a tap on his shoulder. Spinning around in surprise, he found Shauna standing behind him, a look of sheepish embarrassment on her face.

"Ah-hey, Shauna," he greeted the brown-haired girl, trying to sound as casual as possible. "Is something wrong?"

"No, no, it's just-well, I was wondering if you wanted to dance?" Shauna asked, blushing.

Sawyer stared at her in disbelief, wondering if he'd heard right. "Uh-you want to dance?" he repeated dumbly.

"Yeah. I mean, it's okay if you don't want to," Shauna said, beginning to look a little crestfallen. "I just thought I'd ask."

"No, no! I do want to," Sawyer said quickly.

"Great," Shauna said, her face brightening again. "Let's go, shall we?"

Sawyer nodded and stepped out onto the dance floor with Shauna (if you could call it a dance floor, that is) and began an incredibly awkward slow dance with her. After a few rounds, however, they managed to get the hang of things. They passed by Ash and Serena, who grinned at them. Sawyer, noticing that Ash had his arm wrapped around Serena, gave his rival a smirk of approval, eliciting a blush from the raven-haired teen.

"They look happy, don't they?" Shauna remarked, nodding towards their two rivals.

"Yeah, they do," Sawyer agreed.

"I guess everyone got what they wanted today," Shauna said, smiling.

Sorry, this isn't really my best work, but it's kind of hard for me to write a crack ship one-shot, lol.