When the Tables Are Turned

This one-shot takes place during the Diamond and Pearl series instead of XY.

Paul was on his way to Snowpoint City for his next gym battle against Candice. It would be his sixth Sinnoh gym badge when he won. He was planning to use Magmar, Gliscor, and Electivire for the battle. Chimchar would have been a more logical choice than Gliscor, but of course he was with Ash now. Oh well, it wasn't like it mattered anyway.
"Speak of the devil," Paul muttered to himself as he arrived at the Snowpoint gym, because who should be waiting there but Ash Ketchum himself. He was with Brock, Dawn, and a girl that Paul knew to be the Snowpoint gym leader, Candice, but there were two other girls with them he didn't recognize.
"Paul," Ash greeted him, sounding surprised to see him. Paul ignored him and turned to Candice.
"So you must be Candice, the gym leader?" he asked.
"Uh, yes," Candice replied, looking a bit nervous.
"I challenge you to a gym battle," Paul stated in his usual emotionless tone.
Candice smiled apologetically. "I'm sure you must have come a long way, but I just finished a battle with Ash and I'd like to give the gang a rest. Maybe tomorrow?" she suggested.
"All right, tomorrow it is," Paul agreed. He wasn't disappointed that she couldn't battle him right away; in fact, he'd been expecting that answer as soon as he saw her walk out of the gym with Ash.
"Hey Paul, guess what? I've got my seventh Sinnoh gym badge now," Ash said. Part of Paul knew his rival was probably only trying to make polite conversation, but he couldn't help feeling aggravated. Not only was Ash the last person he wanted to talk to, he also had two more gym badges than Paul.
"Yeah, he even managed to win one of his rounds with Torterra," the red-haired girl added.
Paul sneered at Ash. "Using a grass-type in an ice-type gym? I guess you'd chalk that up to blind faith," he said dismissively. Secretly he was impressed that Ash had beaten a gym leader with a type disadvantage, but of course he wasn't going to admit that. He was about to turn around and leave, but was stopped by the other unfamiliar girl, this one with blond hair.
"Who are you?" she asked snippily. Paul wasn't normally one to be taken aback, but he was a bit startled at her tone.
"Well, uh-" he started to say, but she cut him off.
"Well, uh, I don't really care. Who are you to talk like that?" she snapped. "You haven't even beaten Candice's gym yet and you still have the nerve to criticize Ash's strategy."
"It's okay, Emma. Don't worry about it," Ash said quickly.
"Still, he has no right talking like that," the redhead said, backing up her friend.
"Don't worry about it, Zoey. Paul's always been a-" Dawn cut herself off.
Paul narrowed his eyes at her. "A what?" he asked. "A what, exactly?"
"Uh...never mind," Dawn replied nervously. Paul just rolled his eyes.
"Forget it. You're all pathetic," he sneered. He was about to turn and leave for good this time when he was stopped yet again by Emma.
"Pathetic, are we? That's rich coming from you," she said waspishly. "All right, I challenge you to a Pokemon battle. Right here, right now. One on one, let's go. Unless you're scared, of course."
"Scared? Of you?" Paul snapped. "Don't be stupid. Fine then, I accept your challenge. Brock, you can be the referee."
Brock nodded and went to stand between Paul and Emma. "The one on one match between Paul and Emma will now begin," he announced. "The battle will end when one side's Pokemon are unable to continue. Trainers, please send out your Pokemon."
Paul pulled out his Torterra's Pokeball. "Torterra, stand by for battle!" he ordered, giving his signature battle cry. Torterra took his place on the battlefield, staring down Emma, who just looked bored.
"Charizard, shut this asshole up," she said, tossing her own Pokeball into the air. Paul cursed himself as the powerful fire-type appeared in front of Emma. What had he been thinking? Of course he should have let her have the first choice. Then he could have based his pick on her Pokemon.
Oh well, it was too late now. "Torterra, use Wood Hammer!" Paul shouted.
"Dodge it," Emma said calmly.
Charizard leaped out of the way just as Torterra was about to strike him with Wood Hammer. Paul clenched his teeth, but refused to allow himself to lose his cool.
"Now Charizard, use Dragon Claw," Emma ordered, still in that same calm voice. Torterra wasn't able to dodge out of the way in time and was struck by Charizard's Dragon Claw.
"Why Dragon Claw? Why not use a fire attack?" Dawn asked in confusion.
"Because Emma wants this battle to go on as long as possible," Ash replied. "She wants to give Paul a chance to strike back."
Well if that was what she wanted, he would do just that. "Now, use Tackle!" Paul commanded.
"Dodge," Emma countered.
"Fine! Then use Energy Ball!"
"Dodge," Emma said, a tinge of amusement in her voice.
"WILL YOU STOP DODGING ALL THE DAMN TIME?"
"Well I'm not going to let you hit my Pokemon, that's not how a battle works, idiot," Emma snapped. "Or do you normally need your opponents to stand and do nothing in order for you to win?"
Even Ash laughed at that. Paul gritted his teeth, wishing he could slap the smirk off of Emma's face. There was no denying it; she was making him look foolish. And he hated her for it.
"I'll just finish this off now. Charizard, use Flamethrower full power," Emma stated coolly.
"Do-" Paul started to say, but it was too late. An impossibly large jet of flames shot towards Torterra, knocking the hefty grass-type several feet backwards. There was no way he was getting up again after that.
"Torterra is unable to battle. Charizard wins," Brock declared. "So that means the match goes to Emma."
"Well done Charizard, return," Emma said kindly, petting the orange lizard Pokemon on his head before recalling him to his Pokeball.
"We didn't win because you're too slow. Next time don't battle like a weakling," Paul snapped at Torterra, who bowed his head in shame. In truth he knew it wasn't really Torterra's fault, but he was embarrassed and humiliated and needed someone to yell at.
"You know, maybe you shouldn't be yelling at Torterra. After all, he was only following your commands," Zoey commented.
"It's unprofessional to blame your Pokemon after a loss, so get over yourself," Emma added.
"I don't have time for weaklings," Paul snapped, further digging himself into the grave he was making for himself.
"It's the trainer's fault if their Pokemon lose in battle," Emma snapped. "I feel sorry for your Pokemon, having to deal with a pathetic jerk like you. Your style of belittling your Pokemon may work for you, but news flash, it doesn't do you any favors in the long run. So keep being an asshole to them if you want, but just know that if you're ever in danger, they're going to remember how you treated them and won't do anything to help you. And frankly, you wouldn't deserve their help either."
For the first time in his life, Paul was stunned silent. Was Emma telling the truth? Would his Pokemon turn their backs on him? He knew he had done the same to countless Pokemon before so he couldn't really complain, but he had never really considered the possibility that his strongest Pokemon might not feel any loyalty towards him. He had always thought that his Pokemon would automatically feel loyal to him as soon as he caught them, but maybe he was wrong.
"Torterra, return. Let's get to the Pokemon Center," Paul said, a bit more harshly than he intended. He recalled his exhausted grass-type to his Pokeball and started to walk towards the Pokemon Center. Behind him, he could hear the others following but for once in his life he didn't care.
"What's with you, Ash?" Dawn asked.
"Nothing, I just think it's all really funny," Ash replied. Paul could almost hear the smirk in his voice.
"Funny?" Brock repeated.
"That's right," Ash agreed. "Paul's finally getting exactly what he's had coming."

Two months later, Paul was facing off against Ash in the Sinnoh league quarterfinals. They were both down to their last Pokemon, Infernape for Ash and Electivire for Paul. As what would surely be the final two attacks were launched, Paul reflected on how fitting it was that the outcome of the match would be decided between the two Pokemon that had hated each other the most back when Infernape was still on Paul's team. He also wondered if Ash had purposely saved Infernape for the final round to teach him a lesson. It wouldn't have been surprising if he had.
Both attacks ended up making contact. Infernape and Electivire went into a staredown. It was clear that no more attacks were going to be used. Now it was just a battle of wills.
"Electivire," Electivire croaked out with a small smirk, and Paul knew instantly what it meant.
They had lost.
The next moment, the ref was calling out Infernape's victory, but strangely enough Paul wasn't bothered by it. He wasn't even angry with Electivire for losing. He knew now that Emma had been right two months ago when she said that the trainer was to blame for a Pokemon's loss. Perhaps he should change his methods a little. After all, Paul had never been able to recreate Infernape's Blaze ability by torturing and bullying him, but Ash had summoned a Blaze that had more power and strength than any Paul had ever seen before. Maybe there was something to be said about Ash's style of praising his Pokemon, even after they lost a match. So for the first time ever, Paul thanked Electivire before recalling him.
"Thank you. Good battle, Electivire," he said calmly. He looked up and saw Ash, Pikachu, and Infernape staring back at him with shocked looks on their faces. Paul chuckled a bit and turned his gaze towards the stands where Dawn, Brock, Barry, and Emma were sitting. They were too far away and he had spoken too softly for them to hear what he had said, but he could tell by Emma's expression that she knew anyway. As their eyes met, she gave him a slight nod of approval and even allowed a small smile to crack her lips.
Paul knew what he was going to do now: go back to Kanto and request another battle with Brandon. His head was clearer now than the first time he had battled him. He did not hate Ash, he didn't even think he was pathetic anymore. Before he left the stadium, he glanced back at Ash and tried to communicate a telepathical message to his rival.
Win the league. Win the league and become a Pokemon master.

I always wondered what would have happened if Paul met someone who gave him a taste of his own medicine.