The Reason Why (Ikarishipping)

Requested by @PraeterofSinnoh

"Paul, why can't you just be polite to Ash for once in your life? What's he ever done to you?" Dawn asked her boyfriend angrily. "Honestly, why is it that the two people I care most about in the world hate each other so much?"

It was three o'clock on a Saturday afternoon, and Dawn Berlitz and Paul Shinji were having one of their arguments over Ash Ketchum again. Paul thought Ash was annoying, what with his constant cheerful attitude and his irritatingly positive outlook on life. Dawn thought Paul should make more of an effort to be polite to him. He was her best friend, after all.

"What hasn't he done?" Paul snorted. "He's always so happy, just like my brother."

"Ash isn't Reggie! How many times do I have to tell you that?" Dawn snapped.

Paul knew that, of course, but it was easier to use that excuse than admit the real reason he didn't like Ash. Early in their relationship, after Dawn had one too many drinks one night, she had confessed to him that she had harbored a crush on the Pallet Town native during their time together. After that, she had promptly thrown up all over the carpet and the incident was never spoken of again, but Paul just couldn't get the memory out of his head.

Part of him still worried that she secretly preferred Ash over him. And really, why wouldn't she? They were both so happy, so positive. He was just some bitter, coldhearted trainer who had a reputation for being cruel to his Pokemon (not that he was anymore, but still). Ash and Dawn would make an infinitely better couple than he and Dawn did.

"I can't keep doing this, Paul," Dawn said softly. "If you're going to keep picking fights with Ash for no reason, maybe it's best that we break up for now."

Paul's head snapped up. "No, Dawn, wait-"

But she was already gone.

An hour or so later, Paul decided to go look for Dawn. He knew from experience that she would need time to cool down and hoped that he had given her a sufficient amount. The purple-haired Sinnoh native decided to check the nearest Pokemon Center first, since she wasn't likely to go anywhere that would potentially mess up her hair, such as the forest.

When he arrived at the Pokemon Center, however, Dawn was still nowhere to be seen. Instead, to Paul's anger, Ash Ketchum was sitting in the lobby with his arms folded. His Pikachu wasn't with him, so Paul assumed he was getting a checkup. Not that he cared, of course. He only wanted to find Dawn and forget that Ash Ketchum even existed.

Easier said than done.

"What are you doing here?" Ash asked angrily, storming up to him. Paul was a little surprised; usually the raven-haired teen made some effort to be polite to him.

"I'm looking for Dawn," he replied with his usual sneer.

"She doesn't want to talk to you," Ash said coldly.

"Who are you to speak for her?" Paul asked, stepping closer to his rival. Ash didn't back away as he had hoped, however. Instead, he stood his ground and glared harder at him.

"She told me to tell you, actually, and I don't blame her," he snapped. "Some boyfriend you are, making her cry like that."

Paul felt sick. He had made her cry? If there was one thing Paul never wanted to do, it was hurt the people (well...person) he cared about.

"It's all your fault anyway! If you hadn't tried to ruin our relationship, we wouldn't have had a fight and none of this would have happened!" he shouted, his shame and self-disgust projecting as anger.