Pretense (Negaishipping)

Requested by @PokemonIsLife319

It's about midway through their journey through Unova when a girl starts taking interest in Ash. She isn't either of Iris or Cilan's rivals, nor does Ash recognize her from any of his past journeys, so her identity remains a secret for some time. The girl seems to show up all the time, and whenever she does it's always to talk to Ash.

The girl's name, Iris later learns, is Adrienne. She only knows this because, rather late one night in the Pokemon Center, Adrienne sits herself across from Ash and introduces herself in a rather carrying voice. Ash shifts uncomfortably when she reaches out to try to touch his hair and instead shakes her hand. He releases her after barely a second and lets her hand drop.

"Uh, right," Ash says, glancing around nervously. "Nice to meet you."

"Yes, isn't it?" Adrienne asks, tossing her hair in what Iris assumes is supposed to be a coy or confident move. "Anyway, Ash. Elesa's performance is tomorrow."

"Um, yes. Yes, it is," Ash replies, and Iris chuckles silently to herself. She knows the only reason he knows this is because Bianca wouldn't stop going on about it.

"Are you going? Because I am, and I was wondering if you would like to go with me," Adrienne says, looking around smugly. Her gaze locks on Iris, and she smirks as if she's just managed to steal her man.

Have at him, Iris thinks, shrugging to herself. What could she want with a little kid like Ash? He's nice, sure, but she wants someone with a little more maturity. Besides, Ash is too dense to understand love anyway.

"No thanks, I don't think so," Ash says quickly, and Iris looks up to see that he's rubbing the back of his neck uncomfortably. "I'm sorry," he adds when Adrienne's eyes widen and her smug look drops.

"Are you serious?" she practically shrieks, jumping out of her seat. "Why not?"

"I'm just...not interested," Ash says, obviously choosing his words carefully. "I'm sorry."

"You're such a little kid, aren't you?" Adrienne spits angrily.

Iris doesn't think that's particularly fair of her. While she herself has called Ash a kid at least a thousand times since she's met him, she's always had good reason, but his rejection was neither childish nor rude.

Adrienne stalks off towards the opposite end of the Pokemon Center, and Ash leans back in his seat and sighs heavily. For a moment, Iris considers going over to him then decides that it's probably not the best idea while Adrienne is still around. If there's one thing Iris knows, it's to stay out of the way of a jealous female.

So instead, she turns back to her conversation with Cilan, unaware of Ash's eyes on her.

They don't see Adrienne again for some time after Ash rejects her. Then one day, Ash taps Iris on the shoulder with a sheepish look on his face. Iris assumes that he must have lost something again and folds her arms.

"What is it this time?" she asks.

"Uh...well, Adrienne showed up again," Ash admits, and Iris sighs. "Yeah, I know how you feel. And...well, I bet you can guess what she wanted."

"Let me guess, she asked you out again," Iris replies rolling her eyes. Honestly, does Adrienne not know the meaning of no?

Ash nods. "Right," he confirms. "And, well....I told her no again, and she asked why. So I-uh, I kind of made up a lie about you being my girlfriend."

"WHAT?!" Iris shouts, though it's more out of surprise than anger.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Ash says quickly, raising his hands in defeat. "I just didn't know what else to do, so I said the first thing that came to mind. But she...well, she didn't believe me, so she asked me out again."

"But WE'RE dating!" Iris fumes.

"I know!" Ash agrees, both of them forgetting that they are not, in fact, dating. He rubs the back of his head. "So, uh...in the event that she shows up again, which I'm sure she will, do you think you could...play the part a little? I'm sure it won't have to be forever," he adds quickly. "Just, you know, until she gets the message."

"Sure," Iris agrees, not even thinking about it. "Of course."

"Thanks, Iris," Ash says, looking grateful. Then, perhaps just for practice, he kisses her on the cheek before running off to train his Pokemon.

Iris' face burns and she reaches up to touch her cheek, her heart suddenly beating a million times faster than it was a moment ago.

Oh, she thinks. She is so massively screwed.