Pokemon Pearl

Since I don't have anything better to do with my life at the moment, I decided I'd discuss my opinion on Pokemon Pearl. I finished the game a while ago (I don't remember exactly how long it's been), but I never got around to talking much about it due to personal reasons. Anyway, without further ado, let's...well, let's just get this over with.

Let me just preface everything by saying that Pokemon Pearl was by far one of the best games I've ever played. It was challenging for sure, which was something I hadn't really experienced in Pokemon games before. That's not a knock on any of the other games I've played by any means, but it was interesting to finally see for myself why older Pokemon fans (or fans who have played older games) found it so difficult.

I'm sure at least one person is wondering what my final team was, so I've taken the liberty of taking a picture of the final roster. Just as a side note, this was taken after I beat the Elite Four and Cynthia.

Yes, I actually beat the game with a team of only four Pokemon

Yes, I actually beat the game with a team of only four Pokemon. This was the first time that I've gone through an entire game without picking up a full team of six. And no, this wasn't my original plan at all, but that's the way fate rolls, I guess.

My original plan was to pick up a Gible so I could have a Garchomp for the battle against Cynthia, and possibly an ice-type for the same reason. Unfortunately, Gible could only be found in one cave, and by the time I actually figured out how to access that cave, I was already ready to take on the Elite Four and training up a Gible would have been a lot of unnecessary, tedious work. As for why I didn't pick up an ice-type, well, I don't really have a reason for that except that none of the ice Pokemon really appealed to me.

One thing that I found slightly irritating was the fact that TMs were single use only. This didn't ruin the game for me, of course, but it was slightly annoying that I could only use all my TMs once. On the other hand, I guess it does teach you to be careful about who you teach a move to.

I don't have much to discuss in terms of the storyline, so I'm just going to skip right ahead to the Elite Four run. Hey, don't look at me like that. I know this is what everyone wanted to see.

This is probably going to sound extremely arrogant of me, and I apologize for that, but I actually didn't find Cynthia all that challenging.

Now, of course I'm not saying she was a pushover. She's definitely the best champion I've ever faced, and her Garchomp is, without a doubt, a force to be reckoned with. However, with all the hype she receives from fans about her level of difficulty, I guess I was just expecting some sort of intense, borderline impossible fight, but that wasn't what happened at all. The truth is, as long as you know what weaknesses to exploit, Garchomp isn't as deadly as it seems even if you don't have anything super effective against it. And once you get past that, it's more or less smooth sailing from there.

If I'm being perfectly honest, the most difficult battle I had was against Bertha. Since I didn't have any grass-types or Pokemon that knew grass-type moves, I couldn't attack her Quagsire with anything super effective. This might not seem like much of a big deal, but Quagsire's moveset consisted of Sandstorm, Double Team, Protect, and Dig. I think taking out that stupid thing took more time than the rest of Bertha's Pokemon combined.

Anyway, I don't have much else to discuss, so I'm going to cut things off here.