Not Evil

While Greninja and Ash were still separated, Team Flare rose to power again. They tried to use mega evolution energy to control Greninja again, only this time they were successful because Ash wasn't there to help him activate the bond phenomenon. Greninja went on a wild rage, attacking almost anyone he met and injuring countless Pokemon. He was finally stopped when he was knocked unconscious by Professor Sycamore destroying the machine that was controlling him.
When he came round again, he remembered everything that had happened and felt guiltier than he had ever felt in his life. What made it worse was that his friends weren't even mad at him for not doing more to fight against Team Flare's control. Greninja carried his guilt with him for two years.
After those two years, he was reunited with Ash again. As soon as their eyes locked for the first time since Greninja left to protect Kalos, Ash said simply, "I know what happened with Team Flare."
"Oh?" Greninja replied. Inside, however, he was thinking, Shit, shit, shit.
"And I want you to know that I don't hate you for it," Ash continued forcefully.
"Why not?" he asked.
"Because I know what it's like to be possessed by something evil. It doesn't mean you are too," Ash said.