The Right Guy (Pearlshipping)

I actually posted a similar one-shot on Amino. This was done by request for @hobbitfalls.

She was broken, beaten, and humiliated.

And she had no one to blame but herself.

Really, she should have seen it coming. After all, Kenny had never shown any interest in her before, except to tease her and and embarrass her. Why should she believe that he actually liked her?

But she had. And it was the biggest mistake she'd ever made. And now because of her stupidity, she had completely humiliated herself. Because as it turned out, Kenny's so-called "crush" was nothing more than a hoax so he could show her off to his friends. That's what she was to him. Just some sort of prize to be won.

"Hey, Dawn?"

Dawn looked up to see her best friend, Ash Ketchum, sitting next to her with a concerned look in his eyes. She also noticed that he had a bruise below his left eye, but for once she didn't ask him what happened. She was feeling too sorry for herself at the moment.

"I can't believe him," she whispered. "I thought-I thought he really did like me."

"Dawn-" Ash began, but she ignored him.

"Of course, it's all really stupid now that I think about it," she said bitterly. "No one would ever like someone like me."

Ash rolled his eyes. "You must feel so stupid right now, Dawn," he sighed.

Dawn glared at the raven-haired boy. "Look, if you can't be a little considerate-" she began hotly.

"No. Shut up and let me finish what I was going to say," Ash interrupted firmly.

Dawn sighed. "This better be good," she muttered, extremely skeptical of what her friend was going to say to her. Not that she thought he would intentionally hurt her, but he wasn't the brightest when it came to romance.

"You must feel so stupid right now, Dawn. Look at you. You have everything going for you. You're pretty. You're smart. You're a great friend. You never give up. Even without being a winner, you're a winner. How could you be stupid enough to let some idiot guy make you feel bad about yourself? That's what he is, Dawn. He's a loser who isn't good enough to kiss the bottom of your feet. He doesn't deserve you."

Dawn gaped at Ash in astonishment. Usually he was completely clueless when it came to matters of the heart. But now here he was in front of her, saying all the right things. And he was sincere about it too. She had never heard someone speak with so much conviction in her life.

"Well, thanks Ash," she managed to say after a while. "I really needed to hear that."

"No problem, Dawn," Ash replied, smiling that adorable smile of his. "And hey, don't ever let me hear you say that a guy would never like 'a girl like you'. You're amazing. Any guy would be lucky to have you."

Dawn smiled and let her head fall onto Ash's shoulder, her hair tickling his chin as he wrapped an arm around her. And there were so many things each wanted to say to the other at that moment, but Dawn's heart was still healing and Ash wasn't insensitive enough to ask. So instead they just sat in silence, lost in their own world where heartbreak did not exist and neither did players like Kenny, and no one else bothered them for it.