Grading Ash's Pokemon Teams: Kalos

I'll be doing a small series where I rate Ash's Pokemon teams. First, I'll be doing my favorite region: Kalos.

Pikachu
Hawlucha
Talonflame
Goodra
Greninja
Noivern

Rating: 9/10

Ash's best team so far (in my opinion) was in no doubt his Kalos team. I mean, just look at what some of his Pokémon were able to do. Without even going into the Ash-Greninja magic form, he had a beast of a Goodra that had a perfect record until the semifinal match against Sawyer (and still managed to draw to a fairy-type, so hey, that's a win in my book), a Talonflame that held its own pretty well against a Moltres, a Hawlucha that was inconsistent at times but did manage to beat a Mega Absol, and a Noivern that went toe to toe with a Zapdos and managed to draw to Sawyer's Salamence even with significantly less battling experience. There's just one thing that keeps me from giving Ash's Kalos a perfect score, and if you want to know what it is, just take another look at his team.

Still don't see it? All right, I'll explain.

The problem I have with Ash's Kalos team is that he didn't have a whole lot of variety in terms of type. He has three part flying-types and no grass-types, which would have been useful if he ran into any powerful electric-type trainers. Good thing he didn't, huh? Besides that, he didn't really have any good Pokemon to use against fairy-types. He had two dragon-types, whose moves are completely useless against fairy-types (but again...Goodra). Greninja is part dark-type and Hawlucha is part fighting, so there are two more Pokémon with disadvantages to fairy Pokemon right there. But at least Talonflame knew Steel Wing.

Either way, Ash's Kalos team was by far his best team. I'm grading it ahead of Sinnoh because all of Ash's Pokemon evolved in Kalos. Well, except Pikachu, but Pikachu will never evolve so he doesn't count.